Question Effects of airstone on pH?

bmblsad

Reaction score
Hey all
When my pH comes out of the tap it's 7.4. I add conditioner and then let it sit overnight in a 5 gallon bucket with an airstone and a heater until it's time to do a water change. I do this to give my pH a chance to stabilize before I put it in the tank. It usually rises to 8.2 overnight due to the degassing.

I keep fish that prefer lower pH (betta, rasboras, GF). I wish I could lower it, but I've always read that it is better to provide a stable pH that's a little high than try to chemically lower a high pH.

So, here's my question. If I change about 25% of the water weekly in my 75 gallon and 40 gallon tanks and run an airstone, would the water follow the same pattern as the 5 gallon bucket and rise quickly overnight?

Do I even need an airstone? Could I just rely on my filters to create the needed water agitation?

Hoping that makes sense. It's still a little early here and I'm only on cup 2 of coffee.

Beth

Inner10

Well Known
Reaction score
Even if you left the bucket out without an air stone it's going to do the same thing just slower. That's a substantial amount of CO2. What's the KH of your water?

Chanyi

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Mine degasses from 7.6 - 8.2. It's not an issue, pH swings from CO2 do not affect the livestock because the change in pH is not caused by carbonates, and there is no change on osmotic pressure.

It's simply dissolved CO2 forming a very weak acid (carboxylic acid) lowering the pH. As the CO2 off-gasses, there is less and less carboxylic acid, and the pH begins to climb.

This is why planted tank with no pressurized CO2 will pearl after a big water change using tapwater, there is a big flush of CO2 rich water that the plants can use.

Inner10

Well Known
Reaction score
Chanyi said:
Mine degasses from 7.6 - 8.2. It's not an issue, pH swings from CO2 do not affect the livestock because the change in pH is not caused by carbonates, and there is no change on osmotic pressure.

It's simply dissolved CO2 forming a very weak acid (carboxylic acid) lowering the pH. As the CO2 off-gasses, there is less and less carboxylic acid, and the pH begins to climb.

This is why planted tank with no pressurized CO2 will pearl after a big water change using tapwater, there is a big flush of CO2 rich water that the plants can use.
And why your tank looks like a big glass of sprite after a water change.

OP
bmblsad

bmblsad

Reaction score
Every day offers opportunities to learn. ;) I've read so many times that the water pH and temp need to align perfectly or we risk our fish. So I've always tried to get the parms to match. Perhaps I can jettison all those water buckets! :) (or maybe switch to cichlids)

Anyway, more background info. I am on a well. My water is super hard and full of turn-your-hair-orange iron. So, the water I use in the tanks is softened. The water parms for my well water and softened water are:

Well WaterSoftened Water
pH7.47.4 (rises to 8.2 after degassing)
Ammonia20
Nitrite00
Nitrate00
GH16 drops0
KH15 drops14 drops

My apologies for reporting the GH and KH in drops but I can't figure out how to do the math in the API test instructions. Math is a lifelong issue for me. Anywho, because I know softened water is not so great for fish or plants, I started using ReGen () from KilocG about 6-8 weeks ago. Using ReGen gets my GH to about 4-5 (but doesn't change my pH).

I know my water sucks but it's what I have to work with; I can't afford the RO filters or to buy jugs of spring water.

So, could I safely eliminate the buckets and just use my python (Python Products Inc.) to fill the tanks directly (adding water treatment of course)? The water would come in at 7.4 pH and presumably rise to about 8.2 pH over the course of a few days. Any thoughts on this one?

Thanks all,
Beth

PS... including some pics for fun.

Attachments

Inner10

Well Known
Reaction score
bmblsad said:
Every day offers opportunities to learn. ;) I've read so many times that the water pH and temp need to align perfectly or we risk our fish. So I've always tried to get the parms to match. Perhaps I can jettison all those water buckets! :) (or maybe switch to cichlids)

Anyway, more background info. I am on a well. My water is super hard and full of turn-your-hair-orange iron. So, the water I use in the tanks is softened. The water parms for my well water and softened water are:

Well WaterSoftened Water
pH7.47.4 (rises to 8.2 after degassing)
Ammonia20
Nitrite00
Nitrate00
GH16 drops0
KH15 drops14 drops
Don't use softened water, it's just hard water with salt added to bind the minerals. If your water is too hard for your fish use RO water...or keep fish that like hard water and dispense it before your softener.

My apologies for reporting the GH and KH in drops but I can't figure out how to do the math in the API test instructions. Math is a lifelong issue for me. Anywho, because I know softened water is not so great for fish or plants, I started using ReGen () from KilocG about 6-8 weeks ago. Using ReGen gets my GH to about 4-5 (but doesn't change my pH).

I know my water sucks but it's what I have to work with; I can't afford the RO filters or to buy jugs of spring water.

So, could I safely eliminate the buckets and just use my python (Python Products Inc.) to fill the tanks directly (adding water treatment of course)? The water would come in at 7.4 pH and presumably rise to about 8.2 pH over the course of a few days. Any thoughts on this one?

Thanks all,
Beth

PS... including some pics for fun.

New Threads