Effect Of Reducing/removing Ial Extract In Discus Tank?

Chiles

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hello everyone!

I'm currently in the process of planning and waiting for my new 120 gallon aquarium with 55gal sump to arrive! Currently I have a 55gal with 2 discus, a betta and a bristlenose pleco. I do water changes every other day and boil 2 IAL in 5L of water for around 3 hours mostly on low fire. I realised that I'll have to increase the amount of leaves I use and possibly the volume I boil hence increasing the cost so I have decided that I'll try to remove the IAL from their water slowly so I will not have to use it when I move them over to the 120.

I plan on reducing the leaves I use every few water changes by half a leaf until I get down to 0 over a two week period rather than using carbon as I don't have any room in my filter and am afraid that it will act too fast. The fish have been in the tank for about 3 months now and have been swimming in IAL extract ever since. Would there be any side effects to the fish if I remove this and is my proposed time span alright?

PS: I am aware that 2 discus is not enough and will be getting 5 or 6 more discus when the new tank arrives. They seem to be getting along fine right now so I'm not too worried about them. Any foreseeable issues to adding more ?

Thanks for all your input! I really appreciate it
Charles

MrBryan723

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think I kinda understand... you're trying to acclimate your fish from a backwater tank into a Clearwater tank while maintaining the sameish water parameters???
Aside from the discus the others are pretty drop and plop but also $100usd cheaper lol.
Your timeframe is for sure fine. There are other super cheap methods to maintain Blackwater tho.
As far as acclimation of the discus to a higher ph and harder water, that is another thing all together. If that is the case I would encourage you to look into other soft water methods that are cheaper than almond leaves. Even inexpensive chemical buffers would be an option or even better, ageing your water first before changes.

Chiles

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I think I kinda understand... you're trying to acclimate your fish from a backwater tank into a Clearwater tank while maintaining the sameish water parameters???
Aside from the discus the others are pretty drop and plop but also $100usd cheaper lol.
Your timeframe is for sure fine. There are other super cheap methods to maintain Blackwater tho.
As far as acclimation of the discus to a higher ph and harder water, that is another thing all together. If that is the case I would encourage you to look into other soft water methods that are cheaper than almond leaves. Even inexpensive chemical buffers would be an option or even better, ageing your water first before changes.
Hello!

Thanks for you reply. Yeah that's correct, I want to acclimate my fish to a clear water tank xD I wasn't sure how to word it. Soft water and pH aren't really an issue for me as I live in Melbourne and the water is very soft with a pH of 7.4. The pH In my tank is about .3 less than tap. I will try and get an ageing barrel soon though! Do you think adding insulation around the barrel would be a good idea to keep the heat in?

If the time span isn't an issue then I guess il go ahead with it. Maybe instead of totally removing the leaves would it be a better idea to just reduce the leaves I use to maybe 1 ? That way I'll still get a slight tint and use less leaves. What is your way of maintaining a Blackwater tank?

Again, thanks for your reply. I really appreciate it

Last edited:

MrBryan723

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Straight up black tea like you drink. Tannis is super easy to come by and almond leaves are stupid IMPO. I have a dirted tank with potting soil that keeps my tanks way more tea colored than I would like. In the picture provided my ph was around 6. I use tap water for my tanks which is over 8 and really hard. This was about a week after a water change.
20190530_223216.jpg

I like discus and will start keeping them soon since I have done other things to help stabilize my water parameters and allow me to limit my water changes to avoid PH swings.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom