Eep!!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by jenmur, Jul 20, 2017.

1. jenmur

jenmurFishlore VIPMember

Power is out. Transformer blown my husband says it looks like. So no AC, no fans, and it's gonna get to 92* today. He put the filter media inside the tank. Still worried about my betta and my nerite snail. I have no clue how long this will take or how high a temperature they can handle for long term. I'm crossing my fingers for only a few hours this morning but who knows.

2. Cheesearmada

CheesearmadaValued MemberMember

I usually freeze a plastic water bottle and stick it in the tank. Make sure you wash it though...

3. OP
    OP
    jenmur

jenmurFishlore VIPMember

Ok I can do that. I might have to just use a cold water bottle. But I will definitely wash it first :). Hoping that by the time I can make it home this afternoon power will be back on.

Oh thank goodness! AEP is out there already!!!!

4. Cheesearmada

CheesearmadaValued MemberMember

Even better.

5. California L33

California L33Well Known MemberMember

I doubt 92 will kill your Betta if he's healthy. In nature they have to deal with that occasionally- in muddy water in ditches. He's a labyrinth fish and can breathe air if the oxygen dips. I'm not sure about the snail, though mine has shown no ill effects from mid-eighties.

However- close your doors, windows, and draw all blinds and shades. Surround your Betta's tank, sides and top, with the thickest towels you've got. This will provide insulation and keep his tank water temperature from rising quickly. I'm not sure I'd put anything frozen in his tank. The shock would probably be worse than the heat, but Bettas are pretty tough and can probably handle that, too. (Man, when I think of the things my friends did to their Bettas when we were kids and they lived...) I also probably wouldn't feed him until the evening, so he's not trying to digest and handle heat at the same time.

6. OP
    OP
    jenmur

jenmurFishlore VIPMember

@Cheesearmada. Oh yeah! And everything is unplugged for safety when electric comes back on.

@California L33. I'm sure Frazier (betta). Will be fine if a little lazy in the heat. I'm mostly worried about Henry (nerite) cuz I dunno how they handle higher temperatures. Doors are closed and so are windows and drapes. Ok will text husband about towels.

I the bettas I had as a kid were treated horribly and still lived a year or two (same with goldfish). Ok he won't be happy about waiting to eat but he can deal. It's tubifex worm day!

7. California L33

Man, how could it be any worse than to happen on Tubifex day! :sour: (I hope they're freeze dried. The live ones have been known to carry parasites.)

8. OP
    OP
    jenmur

jenmurFishlore VIPMember

I know!! It's awful! Hehehe. Yeah they are freeze dried, I soak them before feeding them of course. Eek! I didn't know that. Oh it'd be worse if it was bloodworm day! Hehe. According to AEP should be on by 12:30pm so hour and a half.

9. OP
    OP
    jenmur

jenmurFishlore VIPMember

Woo hoo!!!! At 1:45pm power is back on!! My fish tank only got up to 82* thankfully and Frazier and Henry are doing good! Took the opportunity to clean the heater and filter. :)

10. BReefer97

BReefer97Well Known MemberMember

My tank got to 100 degrees after I left for the day without turning the AC on - or at least unplugging my heater. If you don't have a frozen water bottle, ziploc bags of ice work too.

11. OP
    OP
    jenmur

jenmurFishlore VIPMember

Oh boy! That is a warm tank!!! Luckily the highest the tank got was 82* and before I left at 2:45pm it was at 80*. Whew!! Thanks for the tip though! I am considering making an ice tray a different color and using tank water to make those ice cubes.

12. BReefer97

BReefer97Well Known MemberMember

That would be a great idea!! I live in Pennsylvania, and I don't think people know how terribly humid and hot it is here. I struggle with evaporating water and water temps like CRAZY. Glad everything worked out for you! That's wonderful!

Oh - and to add, the betta fish was fine after the 100 degree mistake. Bags of ice got it to go down quickly, and thankfully since he's a hardy fish the temperature change didn't stress him out that bad.

13. OP
    OP
    jenmur

jenmurFishlore VIPMember

I know!!! I live in Ohio so we are neighbors! Heheh. It's disgusting here right now. I'm lucky to keep my tank at 80* right now. That's with AC on! I know I am so lucky. My husband put the media and box in the tank and kept agitating the water.

Glad your betta was ok . Yes thank goodness bettas are very hardy fish! Very glad I have Frazier.

14. California L33

If you think it's bad for you, just think of the humidity the fish have to put up with. o_O

15. OP
    OP
    jenmur

jenmurFishlore VIPMember

That is true!! 100% humidity for those guys.

16. Gilly

GillyValued MemberMember

Hey, if it is any consolation, it takes quite a while for water to equalize with the surrounding temperature of the room, especially with a higher volume of water. You could put a 500 gallon pool of ice cold water in your living room and it would equalize the temperatures, cooling your room while warming the pool. so if your water was at 78 degrees, and your room climbed even to 90 degrees, it would take at least a few hours before the temperatures could equalize. Glass DOES have a tiny bit of an insulation factor, so most of your heat loss would be out the top. In case of a power outage, your lights will be off and wont be trying to heat the water. In the winter, since temperatures are usually much lower outside than room temperature, the cold will effect a tank quicker, due to a much larger temperature differential. Your tank probably would have been fine until evening, and then you could have opened a window. It takes much longer for a tank of water to heat from 78 to 92 degrees than it takes for a tank of water to cool from 78 degrees to 50 or lower.

17. KimberlyG

KimberlyGFishlore VIPMember

I'm not beyond sinking to very, very low depths. I once had a power outage and was told it was going to be 8 to 12 hours before power was restored. (Summer of course) I told them that was unacceptable as I took care of my grandmother with Alzheimer's and she could not tolerate the heat that was expected.
    My power was restored in 45 minutes.
    (I didn't lie, I was taking care of my grand mother. It's just that it was at my mother's house and she had power.)

18. BettaPonic

BettaPonicWell Known MemberMember

My tank regularly gets to 90 degrees.

19. OP
    OP
    jenmur

jenmurFishlore VIPMember

@Gilly. Oh awesome! Thank you!! I am still new to this (first full summer having a fish tank). So I didn't know. Thank you so much!

@KimberlyG. Of course it was summer!! Glad your power was restored quickly! Why you little fae! (That's a compliment by the way!). Smart thinking

@BettaPonic. Oh wow!

20. DuaneV

DuaneVWell Known MemberMember

Heats way easier to deal with than cold. When its -20 outside and the power goes for 3 days, it sucks BAD! In the summer when its hot and something happens, we do water changes on our smaller tanks. Larger tanks aren't as effected because they take longer to change the temp, but anything 1o and under can go up quickly. Just take a few gallons out and replace it with colder water if its happens again.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice