Eel With Prolapse

Keyystone

Can someone give me some insight on treatment for an eel with a nasty prolapse. My brackish eel is swimming about lately and doesn't look so good. He hasn't been eating.
db2be2458d6d74909c33956d559294b9.jpg
508c0dd939a450f49b8132e4a08a45d4.jpg

California L33

I'm not an eel expert, but that looks like a rather nasty infection. If it were my fish I think I'd try a broad spectrum internal/external antibiotic and hope for the best.

Keyystone

Yeah. It bothers me a bit. Someone was telling me to give him a bit of time in a Epsom salt bath. Not sure what the S.G. should be for that.

California L33

Yeah. It bothers me a bit. Someone was telling me to give him a bit of time in a Epsom salt bath. Not sure what the S.G. should be for that.

If the person is who told you that is an eel expert then I won't argue the point- there may be something specific to eel anatomy that requires special treatment. If not, and that is the massive infection it appears to be, I think you have to deal with that first with one of the 'big gun' antibiotics like Kanaplex, and even then I'd say the odds are probably against the little guy. That said, if you're on Fish Lore long enough you'll see photos of fish in horrible condition that manage to pull through some nasty diseases.

Keyystone

Yeah I medicated the tank yesterday, can't recall what was used. Mainly just feeders and 2 eels and 2 dragon gobies in the tank. None of the others seem to show anything presently, but better safe than sorry.

iancrayguy

How has he been doing?

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • ZZMak
  • Eels
Replies
Views
ZZMak
Replies
Views
Nata