Eel Open Sore? Bacteria? Fungus?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by Habu22, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Habu22

Habu22Valued MemberMember

My tire track eel had a white patch on the very end of his tail, but he isnt the easiest to snap a photo of and I doubt I could catch him if I wanted to. I was wondering if anyone could tell me the best medications for whatever it could be. Hes in a planted tank, so the meds would have to be plant safe.

2. Ed204

Ed204Well Known MemberMember

Hi there,
    Does the white patch look like cotton?
    What are your water parameters?
    Is your eel scratching on anything? (Decor, filter,e.t.c)

I'll hand you over to @CindiL , she's the sick fish expert around here.

3. OP
    OP
    Habu22

I hadn't noticed anything wierd until a few days ago. I fed him earthworms and he swam out and did like 10 circles, bumping into his stump home a bit. I was a bit concerned, but I didn't do anything. I noticed the patch soon after that when he was (oddly) laying in a driftwood piece in the back of the tank. I looked at it more when I fed him (The only time he comes out) but as its on his tail its usually hidden and even when he is out its constantly moving. I'll test parameters when I get home, and try and get a better look at the patch.

4. Ed204

Do you have a picture of him? That would really help out.

5. OP
    OP
    Habu22

I have tried, but they really stink. I'll post the ones I tried... 1492004908589.jpg1492004921318.jpg (see?) I'll try to have my friend use the burst on his iphone when I try to feed him later. (Not home atm)

6. Ed204

Alright, I'll wait till then. :)

7. OP
    OP
    Habu22

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Temp: 78
    pH: 7.8? [​IMG]
    Ammonia: 0
    [​IMG]
    Nitrite: 0
    [​IMG]
    Nitrate: Very High. 80?
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2017
  8. Ed204

Hmm okay, the wound looks fuzzy and cottony looking. Could be Fungus or columnaris, not to sure though.

Your Nitrates are high! I would consider doing 30-40% water changes daily until the reading goes down to 5-20ppm.

@CindiL do you have any ideas?

9. OP
    OP
    Habu22

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The white things looked a lot like bones (more than fuzz. They were all pretty uniform) and my eel almost seemed like he was missing the end of his tail fin. He doesnt look like he has the very end of his tail like other eels. If the tail fins had bones then I think its something like that.

I was looking at pictures of fin rot, and several pictures of Oscars with fin rot look similar.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  10. CindiL

CindiLFishlore LegendMember

Hi, honestly I can't tell from the pics so will have to recommend meds based on your description. Is it cottony or does it look like something is poking out of his skin? Is it smooth? or would you say it looks more like little individual hairs?

Your nitrates are way too high. What is your water change schedule like? how much? how often?

11. OP
    OP
    Habu22

It was weekly (on Sundays), 25% but I missed a week with vacation and a week from a busted vacuum. Got a new vacuum today. It looks like something poking out of the skin. Definitely not cottony and in the water it looked stiff. Sorta like prongs on a thin comb.

12. CindiL

CindiLFishlore LegendMember

Ahh, ok sounds to me like anchor worms, they are usually pretty easy to see, you normally see a double tail like thing sticking out. If you google it you can see pics of what they look like to compare to what you're seeing on him. You need to use tweezers to pull out the worms in the skin (easier said then done I know) and then use a de-worming medicine in the tank like Prazi Pro or General Cure.
    With a fish that will thrash a good ideas is to use a drop or two of clove oil to calm them down (its an anesthetic) mixed with a little tank water in a container to treat. When they are put back into another container without the clove oil they will perk back up.

13. OP
    OP
    Habu22

Googled them, it doesnt look quite like that. Theyre only on the tip of his tail, and the pictures show that he has a red patch next to it. They look like tiny, white toothpicks as opposed to the way the worms look, and the way that they were only on the very tip of his tail, where im pretty sure a fin should be, makes it look less like worms that attached themselves.

14. Redshark1

Redshark1Well Known MemberMember

Could you be describing the fin rays?

15. OP
    OP
    Habu22

Possibly. But possibly like im quite sure and the only reason it isn't a yes is because ive never seen them before and it could be, maybe, probably isnt, something different.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice