Eel Open Sore? Bacteria? Fungus?

  • Thread starter

Habu22

Valued Member
Messages
99
Reaction score
38
Points
63
Experience
5 to 10 years
My tire track eel had a white patch on the very end of his tail, but he isnt the easiest to snap a photo of and I doubt I could catch him if I wanted to. I was wondering if anyone could tell me the best medications for whatever it could be. Hes in a planted tank, so the meds would have to be plant safe.
 

Ed204

Well Known Member
Messages
3,960
Reaction score
1,258
Points
158
Experience
2 years
HI there,
Does the white patch look like cotton?
What are your water parameters?
Is your eel scratching on anything? (Decor, filter,e.t.c)

I'll hand you over to CindiL , she's the sick fish expert around here.
 
  • Thread starter

Habu22

Valued Member
Messages
99
Reaction score
38
Points
63
Experience
5 to 10 years
I hadn't noticed anything weird until a few days ago. I fed him earthworms and he swam out and did like 10 circles, bumping into his stump home a bit. I was a bit concerned, but I didn't do anything. I noticed the patch soon after that when he was (oddly) laying in a driftwood piece in the back of the tank. I looked at it more when I fed him (The only time he comes out) but as its on his tail its usually hidden and even when he is out its constantly moving. I'll test parameters when I get home, and try and get a better look at the patch.
 

Ed204

Well Known Member
Messages
3,960
Reaction score
1,258
Points
158
Experience
2 years
Habu22 said:
I hadn't noticed anything weird until a few days ago. I fed him earthworms and he swam out and did like 10 circles, bumping into his stump home a bit. I was a bit concerned, but I didn't do anything. I noticed the patch soon after that when he was (oddly) laying in a driftwood piece in the back of the tank. I looked at it more when I fed him (The only time he comes out) but as its on his tail its usually hidden and even when he is out its constantly moving. I'll test parameters when I get home, and try and get a better look at the patch.
Do you have a picture of him? That would really help out.
 
  • Thread starter

Habu22

Valued Member
Messages
99
Reaction score
38
Points
63
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ed204 said:
Do you have a picture of him? That would really help out.
I have tried, but they really stink. I'll post the ones I tried...
1492004908589.jpg
1492004921318.jpg
(see?) I'll try to have my friend use the burst on his iphone when I try to feed him later. (Not home atm)
 

Ed204

Well Known Member
Messages
3,960
Reaction score
1,258
Points
158
Experience
2 years
Habu22 said:
I have tried, but they really stink. I'll post the ones I tried...
1492004908589.jpg
1492004921318.jpg
(see?) I'll try to have my friend use the burst on his iphone when I try to feed him later. (Not home atm)
Alright, I'll wait till then.
 
  • Thread starter

Habu22

Valued Member
Messages
99
Reaction score
38
Points
63
Experience
5 to 10 years

Ed204

Well Known Member
Messages
3,960
Reaction score
1,258
Points
158
Experience
2 years
Hmm okay, the wound looks fuzzy and cottony looking. Could be Fungus or columnaris, not to sure though.

Your Nitrates are high! I would consider doing 30-40% water changes daily until the reading goes down to 5-20ppm.

CindiL do you have any ideas?
 
  • Thread starter

Habu22

Valued Member
Messages
99
Reaction score
38
Points
63
Experience
5 to 10 years
6d55fea74a0dd3545f2cc59cd8b5b5d0.jpg

b8c0bfa655293a447d849a37441ace2d.jpg

The white things looked a lot like bones (more than fuzz. They were all pretty uniform) and my eel almost seemed like he was missing the end of his tail fin. He doesn't look like he has the very end of his tail like other eels. If the tail fins had bones then I think its something like that.

I was looking at pictures of fin rot, and several pictures of Oscars with fin rot look similar.
 

CindiL

Fishlore Legend
Messages
14,911
Reaction score
2,380
Points
408
Experience
5 years
Hi, honestly I can't tell from the pics so will have to recommend meds based on your description. Is it cottony or does it look like something is poking out of his skin? Is it smooth? or would you say it looks more like little individual hairs?

Your nitrates are way too high. What is your water change schedule like? how much? how often?
 
  • Thread starter

Habu22

Valued Member
Messages
99
Reaction score
38
Points
63
Experience
5 to 10 years
It was weekly (on Sundays), 25% but I missed a week with vacation and a week from a busted vacuum. Got a new vacuum today. It looks like something poking out of the skin. Definitely not cottony and in the water it looked stiff. Sorta like prongs on a thin comb.
 

CindiL

Fishlore Legend
Messages
14,911
Reaction score
2,380
Points
408
Experience
5 years
Ahh, ok sounds to me like anchor worms, they are usually pretty easy to see, you normally see a double tail like thing sticking out. If you google it you can see pics of what they look like to compare to what you're seeing on him. You need to use tweezers to pull out the worms in the skin (easier said then done I know) and then use a de-worming medicine in the tank like PrazI Pro or General Cure.
With a fish that will thrash a good ideas is to use a drop or two of clove oil to calm them down (its an anesthetic) mixed with a little tank water in a container to treat. When they are put back into another container without the clove oil they will perk back up.
 
  • Thread starter

Habu22

Valued Member
Messages
99
Reaction score
38
Points
63
Experience
5 to 10 years
CindiL said:
Ahh, ok sounds to me like anchor worms, they are usually pretty easy to see, you normally see a double tail like thing sticking out. If you google it you can see pics of what they look like to compare to what you're seeing on him. You need to use tweezers to pull out the worms in the skin (easier said then done I know) and then use a de-worming medicine in the tank like PrazI Pro or General Cure.
With a fish that will thrash a good ideas is to use a drop or two of clove oil to calm them down (its an anesthetic) mixed with a little tank water in a container to treat. When they are put back into another container without the clove oil they will perk back up.
Googled them, it doesn't look quite like that. Theyre only on the tip of his tail, and the pictures show that he has a red patch next to it. They look like tiny, white toothpicks as opposed to the way the worms look, and the way that they were only on the very tip of his tail, where I'm pretty sure a fin should be, makes it look less like worms that attached themselves.
 

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
Messages
4,731
Reaction score
2,169
Points
433
Experience
More than 10 years
Could you be describing the fin rays?
 
  • Thread starter

Habu22

Valued Member
Messages
99
Reaction score
38
Points
63
Experience
5 to 10 years
Redshark1 said:
Could you be describing the fin rays?
Possibly. But possibly like I'm quite sure and the only reason it isn't a yes is because ive never seen them before and it could be, maybe, probably isnt, something different.
 
Toggle Sidebar

New Threads

Similar Threads

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media





Top Bottom