Eel Help! *URGENT*

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by chris1233, Aug 3, 2015.

1. chris1233Valued MemberMember

So recently iv'e noticed a few issues with my peacock eel all doing with it's health. It has not grown since I got it around four months ago, and is getting unusually skinny. Since its lasted this long I'm assuming it is eating. Their may be several reasons for this, firstly being that it's in a small tank (29) gallon, but iv'e heard they can live in this size tank. Secondly I understand they are a social animal and should be kept with other eels, seeing as I can't upgrade my tank, I don't think I'm able to hold another one. If you guys could help me out in any way to make sure my eel is ok please do. Thanks!

2. hampalongWell Known MemberMember

What do you feed it, and do you see it eating?

3. chris1233Valued MemberMember

I feed it along with the other fish in the tank frozen blood worms

4. BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

Fish/eels can go for months without eating. I would not assume it has been unless you see it eating.

And a 29 is a bit too small. How big is it? What other fish do you have?

5. chris1233Valued MemberMember

I have two convict cichlids, a rubberlip pleco, and two angelicus botias,the eel is around 6-8 inches

6. hampalongWell Known MemberMember

I wouldn't risk one with convicts. Is there any aggression towards it? Does it have places to hide?

7. BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

The 29 is way too small now. The stock you have would be better in a 55. And you need more botias.
    What is your ammonia , nitrite and nitrate readings? What kind of filter?

But back to the eel. Other than not growing and being skinny, any other signs of illness? Your really only feeding bloodworms to the whole tank?

8. chris1233Valued MemberMember

As for the ammonia and nitrite/nitrate they are stable. Food wise I feed them bloodworms twice a week, and dry food twice a week as well. Their are plenty of places to hide, and the eel has used them.

9. slayer5590Well Known MemberMember

What kind of substrate are you using? Spineys should be kept on sand. Most spineys won't eat dry foods.

10. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

Telling us the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels are "stable" isn't helpful. What are the exact readings?

11. hampalongWell Known MemberMember

Spiny Eels rarely eat enough dried food, if any at all. It needs frozen foods, and meaty foods like pieces of white fish, shrimp, small worms, etc. it needs these every day. They're crepuscular fish (out and about at dawn and dusk) so you may have to feed it after lights out if it isn't active during the day.

If there's any aggression whatsoever from the convicts this could stop it eating.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice