Eel Help again!

1. c

chris1233 Valued Member Member

So a couple days ago I posted a thread regarding my peacock eels health, and since then its seemed to get progressively worse. He has been lying down during the day looking as if he's dead. Scared, I goto touch him and see if he really is only to find him swimming away. I have no idea what could be causing this. What should the temperature be for eels?

Things you may wanna know:
    -He is the only eel which is kind of bad considering they are social animals, but I have no room for another
    -It's a 29 gallon tank, a little small but he is only around 6-8 inches so I think it's fine
    -I feed him, along with my other fish in the tank frozen blood worm cubes twice a week
    -I've had him for a four months

2. hampalong

hampalong Well Known Member Member

It needs fed every day, and more than bloodworms. There's not much protein in bloodworms.

3. OP
    OP
    c

What else should I buy?

Anyone have any advice?

4. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

Try hand feeding crickets and meal worms. Get some long tongs to hold them in front of its mouth.

5. OP
    OP
    c

ok, are their any other frozenthings I can get from my local petstore?

6. hampalong

7. slayer5590

slayer5590 Well Known Member Member

8. BDpups

I'd stay away from counting on it eating anything frozen. There are too many other things in the tank that will get to it first. Plus, like hampalong said, not much nutrition. If it makes it, you will really need to make some changes in feeding...

9. hampalong

This is the main point, isn't it? Spiney Eels are not well suited to a tank with lots of hungry fish. They're slow feeders and need time to eat.... You really have to plan their tankmates around them, so they're not "outcompeted".

10. OP
    OP
    c

What do you recommend I do? I really don't want to get rid of any of my fish as they are doing fine. I have a spare ten gallon I could use to put the eel in until it becomes more healthy, also I don't know what my petstores sell near me, I don't think they sell live food.

11. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

What were you planning on doing with him when he gets bigger? He should outgrow your tank pretty quickly once he's fed a better diet. If you could move him to a larger tank now and keep him alone in there, you could feed him better as he won't have competition.

12. OP
    OP
    c

Well, atm I Have no room for a larger tank, I was planning on him taking a few more months to grow fully before having to move him. By then I would most likely have a larger tank, however as of now that's not an option. Should I setup a ten gallon tank to have him alone whilst he recovers?

13. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

A 10 gal is way too small for him, and his growth might be stunted. Try to feed him in the community tank every day with more than just bloodworms.

14. hampalong

You don't need live foods. I would feed frozen bloodworm, krill, mysis, brine shrimp, also small pieces of shrimp/prawn, cockle/mussel, white fish. And best of all, small live worms (I often have a wormery on the go...)

With your other fish, you need to get them full and then have food left over for the Eel.

Dropping food in 'secretly' in the dark is an option...

15. BDpups

I would try and feed live food for now. Try to hand feed it until you are back on track with him. Then introduce foods to it that hampalong suggested. Live food is usually taken better than prepared. And you need to make sure it is eating. Get some food in it and go from there. Hampalong had some good advice with feeding at night.

Sent from my iPhone with my fingers.

16. OP
    OP
    c

Just went to my petstore and got some live worms. I'm going to try and cut them up, and feed them to him with tweezers. The guy also gave me some Garlic extract and said it would stimulate the fish and make them hungry. IS this true?

17. BDpups

Yes garlic helps. It also helps their immune system. If you can get your eel to do better, soak some white fish or muscles in it before you feed it. And if you are cutting the worms up might as well soak some of them in it to see if it helps.

Sent from my iPhone with my fingers.

18. OP
    OP
    c

Ok cool, hopefully all goes well, i'll report back if I have any further questions. Thanks for the help guys!

19. OP
    OP
    c

Hey, just tried to feed the earth worm to my eel, he won't eat it because it's too big. I tried to cut it up, but he won't eat it still. What do I do?

20. OP
    OP
    c

Please help, I feel as if my eel is going to die if he doesn't eat.