Eel eating?

Sam999

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hey, I have had a spotted peacock eel for about 3 months now and I never see him eat? I can't tell if he's looking thin, but he comes out often and I want to try to teach him how to hand feed? Any pointers I really don't know how to so if you reply, Thanks.

samamr

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hand feeding is something very hard to do because fish are usually scared of your hand so what I do is when I teacha fish I would just not feed them for 5 days you get some of what ever you feed them hold it ad just put you hand in the tank. fish that are not coming to eat just means they might be imoossible to teach but some other fish like plecos would just come and eat right off your hand!

Sam999

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks

Kupcake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I wouldnt fast my tank for 5 days. Feeding from hand is just something you have to do slowly and carefully. You shouldnt fast for no reason, especially if your not sure he is getting enough in the first place.

Use extra special foods for the handfeeding. I don't know what kinds of foods eels eat, but I am sure they are like all others where they will eat some sort of processed foods (flakes, pellets, wafers...something)...and then they might eat a live or frozen treat also.

You should want to provide a well rounded diet, so don't just feed one thing, and when you figure out what is his favorite you can use that for hand feeding.

forgetti

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
we used to go to a wildlife park where they sold little pottles of minced meat with a plastic spoon to feed the Eels, the Eels were great big ones though and very tame

Sam999

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Ok thx I will try fasting for a bit.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads