Eek!No power!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoGreen

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Help! We are having a major wind storm here and the power went out. I wrapped my tanks in sleeping bags, but how long can they go without a water change? Please some one answer before my laptop dies!

Furallicah

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Take a 1gal container and ever hour get a gal of water from your tank and pour it back in from about 1ft high. It will add oxygen into your tank so you fish can breath. Depending on the size of the tank you might want to do more then 1gal.

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
if you get the inkling that the power is going to be out more than just a few hours then get ahold of a battery powered aerator, they sell them at bait and tackle shops, walmart, etc. It's either that, or a small generator, we keep generators on standby down here because of all the hurricanes, they definitely come in handy.

Another option is to get a power inverter and run an extension cord from a car (or car battery if you are good with wiring), granted these are all temporary measures but they've saved a fridge full of food and a fish tank a time or two.

OP
G

GoGreen

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I don't have any battery air pumps if that is what you mean. I was wondering about needing to do a water change, or do I have to stay up all night and agitate the water with my hand every so often?! How long can my fish last? Is 6 to 8 hours survivable?

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
ive left the filter off in my 10g accidentally overnight without any real issue, I know if the o2 gets too low they'll be at the surface, gouramis are built to live in low oxygen water. I' would probably put a dose of amquel+ or prime in just to take care of any possible ammonia buildup while the filter isnt running, and do a water change in the morning for good measure.

OP
G

GoGreen

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
thank you everyone for the quick responses, our power just came on again, it was only out for 2 hours, whew. I did a small water change anyway just to aerate things a bit and because I am nursing a sick cory.
Let's hope it doesn't go off again.
Time for a generator!

Furallicah

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Generators are a life saver! My family has one...but if we were to use it I dought I could power my room with one with all my fish tanks lol I need to get my own.

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
lol if anyone is serious about getting a generator, take a look at honda's compact line, they are ultra quiet, compact and fuel efficient. We've had one for several years and it's a huge departure from the big metal racketboxes of the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom