Eek!No power!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by GoGreen, Apr 8, 2010.

1. GoGreenWell Known MemberMember

Help! We are having a major wind storm here and the power went out. I wrapped my tanks in sleeping bags, but how long can they go without a water change? Please some one answer before my laptop dies!

2. cm11599ps

cm11599psWell Known MemberMember

Can you aerate the water at all?

3. Furallicah

FurallicahWell Known MemberMember

Take a 1gal container and ever hour get a gal of water from your tank and pour it back in from about 1ft high. It will add oxygen into your tank so you fish can breath. Depending on the size of the tank you might want to do more then 1gal.

4. jetajockey

jetajockeyFishlore VIPMember

if you get the inkling that the power is going to be out more than just a few hours then get ahold of a battery powered aerator, they sell them at bait and tackle shops, walmart, etc. It's either that, or a small generator, we keep generators on standby down here because of all the hurricanes, they definitely come in handy.

Another option is to get a power inverter and run an extension cord from a car (or car battery if you are good with wiring), granted these are all temporary measures but they've saved a fridge full of food and a fish tank a time or two.

5. OP
    OP
    G

GoGreenWell Known MemberMember

I don't have any battery air pumps if that is what you mean. I was wondering about needing to do a water change, or do I have to stay up all night and agitate the water with my hand every so often?! How long can my fish last? Is 6 to 8 hours survivable?

6. Furallicah

Put all your filter material into your tank so the bacteria wont die on you. If you do that they should be fine for a while.

7. jetajockey

ive left the filter off in my 10g accidentally overnight without any real issue, I know if the o2 gets too low they'll be at the surface, gouramis are built to live in low oxygen water. I' would probably put a dose of amquel+ or prime in just to take care of any possible ammonia buildup while the filter isnt running, and do a water change in the morning for good measure.

8. OP
    OP
    G

GoGreenWell Known MemberMember

thank you everyone for the quick responses, our power just came on again, it was only out for 2 hours, whew. I did a small water change anyway just to aerate things a bit and because I am nursing a sick cory.
    Let's hope it doesn't go off again.
    Time for a generator!

9. Furallicah

Generators are a life saver! My family has one...but if we were to use it I dought I could power my room with one with all my fish tanks lol I need to get my own.

10. jetajockey

lol if anyone is serious about getting a generator, take a look at honda's compact line, they are ultra quiet, compact and fuel efficient. We've had one for several years and it's a huge departure from the big metal racketboxes of the past.

11. Furallicah

Lol I have a Honda EU2000iA

12. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Good morning,

I'm glad to hear that your power is back on. Two hours of no power should not to any harm to your tank or fish. Always keep your filter media wet in these cases, even if you have to add it to the tank itself.

Here are a few links you may find helpful concerning power outages:
    Time to prepare for power outages

Ken

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice