Eek...my Poor Fish!

Nicoledes0

Reaction score
I have a blue gouramI that is currently alone in a tank. He is alone because he was so aggressive with every other fish (even the ones they are supposed to get along with) and today I went to check on him and his eye was popping out.

With more research I found out he has Popeye. It is only one eye and today I got home and it has a circle of blood around it. Is there anything I should do? I did add aquarium salt to his tank but that is it.

Do I leave him?

I am guessing he poked it because in his own tank he had live plants and in this tank there are ornaments as I haven't been able to get live ones yet.

Picture attached.

Attachments

YellowFish13

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Oh no! Accidents happen. Some questions.

What size tank?

Heated, cycled, and filtered?

This showed up today, with no prior health problems?

I don’t know if that’s pop eye. Hopefully someone who had a similar situation can chime in!

OP
N

Nicoledes0

Reaction score
Intermediate_Aquarist said:
Oh no! Accidents happen. Some questions.

What size tank?

Heated, cycled, and filtered?

This showed up today, with no prior health problems?

I don’t know if that’s pop eye. Hopefully someone who had a similar situation can chime in!
He was in a 20 gallon. Now he is in a 10 by himself (hospital tank). Heated, cycled and filtered.

Just showed up. Today he is swimming around with it looking ugly by showing no signs of any other issue.

Fawkes21

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Could be an injury?

The only other thing I can think is an oxygen deprivation issue. It can cause eyes to become swollen and blood shot. What aeration do you have in the QT?

I would monitor it and maybe add some salt/melafix (if your fish is OK with that product) to prevent any infections.

OP
N

Nicoledes0

Reaction score
So...his eye is now healed! I have a new thing....

He is alone in the tank. Every time I turn on the light his colours change to dark blue stripes. Is this normal?

OP
N

Nicoledes0

Reaction score
Fawkes21 said:
Could be an injury?

The only other thing I can think is an oxygen deprivation issue. It can cause eyes to become swollen and blood shot. What aeration do you have in the QT?

I would monitor it and maybe add some salt/melafix (if your fish is OK with that product) to prevent any infections.
This is what I did to fix the issue. Thanks it worked!

Fawkes21

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Nicoledes0 said:
So...his eye is now healed! I have a new thing....

He is alone in the tank. Every time I turn on the light his colours change to dark blue stripes. Is this normal?
Curious!

I don't have gouramis myself but I have noticed some of my tropical fish (electric blue rams, loaches and cardinals) to change colour according to their mood. If they're stressed they tend to go pale and then darken when they feel content/happy.

How old is your fish? If he's still young it could be his mature coloration developing.

I think if he's swimming, eating OK I'd put it down to a natural colour change prompted by a change in light, environment.

Hope this helps

New Threads