Eeergh what to do with 14g

Fishyfishyfishman

I have a 14g cube with Some red flame sword red tiger lotus Cabomba and a little bit of moss and some hornwort I want to take out. I need help with how to position the plants. Currentky they are just sitting In there. I might like to add a small anubias later on I was thinking maybe like: Tiger lotus in back right, sword in back left, Cabomba in front?, and some anubias like earlier for ground cover. What do you think? Ideas? Where in the world should I put these lol

EDIT: it has fish in it right now

EDIT: I want something pretty jungly but still having some shape and form

cdwag29

A picture would be helpful!

What I like to do is I usually add driftwood or rocks and center all the plants around that. I put the large plants in the back to try and hid the filter and heater, and try to keep the low plants near the front. I've attached a picture of my 10 gal for reference, although I'm not a great aquascaper and another member could definitely give you better tips. You can see in the picture I tried to fill the back up with java fern and use the anubias to fill any empty space.

I would keep the sword in the back, in the corner where your filter is since I'm assuming the leaves are quite wide. Depending on how tall the cambona is, you could either use it as a fore ground or midground plant. I would keep the Tiger lotus in the back for sure.

Attachments

• WIN_20220314_18_10_41_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20220314_18_10_41_Pro.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 19

Fishyfishyfishman

Thank you… this is a train wreck I think I will move it and just see what happens. I have no hard scape and no money… I could find some rocks I suppose.

EDIT: a picture? Lol no you don’t

cdwag29

Don't give up on it quite yet! I totally understand the frustration of trying to find a satisfying aquascape. I'm still not happy with mine and plan to redo all of my tanks. Next time you do a water change, why don't you mess around with the plants a bit and try to find something you really like?

There's a great website called MarcusFishTanks that sells plants and hardscape (driftwood only) for super good prices, and all of the plants are healthy. For example, crypts are only $3 and small pieces of driftwood (about 6 inches) are only $5.

Forgot to add. If you do go outside and find some rocks, I think there's a vinegar test you could do to make sure it's safe for the tank. Depending on what tree it came from, branches are also remotely safe to use for tanks as long as it's cleaned properly beforehand. Totally free way to get hardscape.

Fishyfishyfishman

prices, and all of the plants are healthy. For example, crypts are only $3 and small pieces of driftwood (about 6 inches) are only $5.
heeheehee sounds like I’ll be there in a minute. I am about to give it a shot. We’ll see.

cdwag29

Your comment made me giggle, ngl. I'm surfing the store currently as well. I might also add that often they give you extra plants. I ordered jungle val from there with the expectation to get 3 plants..instead they gave me six!

Fishyfishyfishman

Is there care info good? I will definitely be buying soon

Sorry off topic but I love your profile picture

cdwag29

I'd say their care info is pretty good, although I never really looked into it too much, just usually skim it over. Their root tabs are very nice though and worked well in my aquarium.

Thank you lol, I saw it and was like "wow..this right here is comedy."

Fishyfishyfishman

Looking at stuff that I know about it seems pretty good.

PeterFishKeepin

im a bit late too this.

Forgot to add. If you do go outside and find some rocks, I think there's a vinegar test you could do to make sure it's safe for the tank. Depending on what tree it came from, branches are also remotely safe to use for tanks as long as it's cleaned properly beforehand. Totally free way to get hardscape.

ive only collect rocks, never any driftwood or branches, when I go for rocks, I get a bit of vineager and a bit of lemon juice mix together pour onto the rock, listen and watch, if it starts to fiss its bad, if it doesn't fiss then you can use it. the vineager/lemon juice goes whitish and develops bubbles it is also not good.

Boil and soak in water for 15-30 mins, give it a scrub, let it cool then it should be fine to use in your aquarium, stay away from concrete or any rock you think/know contains metals.

Fishyfishyfishman

What would be a good mid ground plants to go with some crypts?

cdwag29

Hmm..maybe pearlweed, dwarf sag, anubias, bucephalandra, narrow leaf java fern, alternanthera reinckii, dwarf hydrophilla. Not sure if MarcusFishTanks sells all of those, but check on esty! Usally have good prices there, with a lot of deals like "buy one get one free."

Fishyfishyfishman

I am going to have red tiger lotus in the back left Cabomba in the back middle and red flame sword in the back right. Some crypt wendtii of some sort. Some driftwood with buce going in in the front middle? And I don’t want all crypts In the middle.

cdwag29

That sounds good! You're tank is cubed right? That'll fill in very nicely.

Fishyfishyfishman

Yes nice rimless. I really like it

What I want it to look like to some degree. I doubt it will be close but we’ll see…

Fishyfishyfishman

Well i don’t know if ill be able to get two pieces of drift wood. Or the buce on it. I am getting a new light for a different tank so i have quite a bit less money to work with. But I am getting an anubias a piece of cholla wood for my 10 gallon and 3 crypts and a “driftwood Stump” for the 14 if they send extra anubias i will put it on that drfitwood in the 14 gal. I will try to save up some after that and see if i cant get some buce or anubias

cdwag29

You don't always have to get every plant right now. You could eventually propagate some of these plants and spread them around your tanks, or with plants like anubias you can split them and then you have two. Sounds like you have a good plan going though.

Be careful with cholla wood. I had a beta get stuck in it twice and it tore up his back. He had a permanent scar from it as well.

Fishyfishyfishman

I could get one buce instead of a crypt… Smae price but cant’ get both. I plan on getting 3 crypts a light An anubias cholla (might not now) and a piece of driftwood. Now that i plan on getting peacock gudgeons i might want to make some more places for them to hide in. I could try building a cave out of large pebbles (3”) and glue them.

cdwag29

Why not get the buce and have some variety? The crypts will be very small when you get them but will eventually fill in.

The stone cave is a good idea. Small flower pots can also be used as a cave and most are only like 99 cents to 2 bucks at Michaels or hardware stores.

Fishyfishyfishman

I get the clay pots are cool but i don’t like the look for this tank. Just wouldn’t fit. I am getting one red one Bronze and one green crypt but am switching the green for a buce

cdwag29

All good, I was just throwing out ideas. :D

For the stone cave, if you wanted you could glue the pebbles to a PCV pipe.

Fishyfishyfishman

Just looked at buce plants.com and its a better deal for buce there than it is on marcus. Will be saving up for a buce order. Maybe before or after my gudgeons
or do i grab that Godzilla buce while im thinking about it…

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Ravynn
Replies
Views
gray_matter16
Replies
Views
Kerina
Replies
Views