Education on sponge filters?

1. Delaneyw

Delaneyw Well Known Member Member

I'm interested in finding out more about sponge filters, specifically for a betta tank. Ours came with the whisper filter and I just can't stand it, plus it's only carbon. Sponge filters sound like a better alternative, mechanically/biologically, and it seems like there would be no issues with current and tail fins, and it would take up less space. Then I start reading and seeing they need powerheads? I couldn't find a powerhead for less than $25. Could someone give me a little bit of a rundown on all this or lead me in the right direction? Thank you.

2. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

You don't need a powerhead for a sponge filter in a Betta tank as Bettas don't like much flow.
    There are various sponge filters you can get, floor standing single ones or ones you stick on the side of the tank with suckers, they come in double or singles & they're all run from an air pump.
    The more powerful the air pump the more flow you'll get so a pump with an adjustable flow is best then you can adjust it to suit.

3. OP
    OP
    Delaneyw

Delaneyw Well Known Member Member

So the powerhead info is possibly a point of trying to make another sale. The ones I am able to find online I think are floor standing? I'm looking at the ones at AquariumGuys (my area pet stores don't seem to have them). I hate that dang whisper filter, and power filters seem too extreme.

4. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Powerheads with sponge filters are better than air pumps in larger tanks where you need more circulation, but for a Betta tank an air pump is fine.
    Have a look on ebay for other types of sponge filters.