Educate Me On Wild Bettas

FishWithTim
Wild bettas seem to be very popular and i'd like to know why. I went to a website and they were sold out.

Just wanting to learn about wild bettas. I am interested in keeping them.

GuppyGuy007
I believe that they are not as aggressive as the ones found in stores, so you could keep groups of them together, some of them even needing to be in groups. Also, they are a lot harder to find then your common betta women tend, so most local fish stores don't have them in stock, so they are hard to find online

Lagertha
Because people are selfish and can’t resist capturing something beautiful to own.

IHaveADogToo
I think it's because "I can keep these bettas together?!"

Small Tanks
Actually a lot of the 'wild' breeds are still tank reared, or farm bred, they're fairly easy to breed in tank.

They're beautiful and have very different personalities than the bettas you see in pet stores, they're more peaceful and natural looking in your tank as well. A few of the species are even mouth brooders (that's how different they are!).

If you see them, you can ask if they're wild caught or captive bred.

CanadianFishFan
Since the land of where wild bettas are found is slowly disapearing they become more rare. I'm sure some species is instinct already. Ive seen some sold for ever $400 on RenasFishStore

They are much different then betta spendens. What wild type you getting? They are pricey and some can live together! I'm sure there's websites about them you can find.

Small Tanks
Each breed is extremely different, some are bubble nesters, some are mouth brooders. Most can live in groups, though some have particular care requirements.

They're personalities differ pretty dramatically from breed to breed as well. Do you have a particular one you're interested in?

FishWithTim
Each breed is extremely different, some are bubble nesters, some are mouth brooders. Most can live in groups, though some have particular care requirements.

They're personalities differ pretty dramatically from breed to breed as well. Do you have a particular one you're interested in?
Imbellis? But i'd also like to know the ones that can live together.

MWR
Check out the International Betta Congress website, Wild Betta Community on Facebook.

Small Tanks
Imbellis? But i'd also like to know the ones that can live together.

I had a pair of these years and years ago (back when you could only get them wild caught, now you can get farmed/tank reared ones that are hardier).
They're beautiful fish. I kept mine with cherry shrimp in a 10G that was REALLY Heavily planted to try and simulate the kind of flooded rice patty environment they came from.

I remember they didn't like bright lights, so I had a lot of floating plants in there too and were pretty nit picky about food (again likely dt being wild caught), I fed them almost exclusively frozen food.

Betta imbellis

FishWithTim
I had a pair of these years and years ago (back when you could only get them wild caught, now you can get farmed/tank reared ones that are hardier).
They're beautiful fish. I kept mine with cherry shrimp in a 10G that was REALLY Heavily planted to try and simulate the kind of flooded rice patty environment they came from.

I remember they didn't like bright lights, so I had a lot of floating plants in there too and were pretty nit picky about food (again likely dt being wild caught), I fed them almost exclusively frozen food.

Betta imbellis
What about the ones that can live together? Which ones are those?

Small Tanks
These ones can live together and in groups.

Actually ALL the wild bettas can live in either pairs or colonies.

FishWithTim
These ones can live together and in groups.

Actually ALL the wild bettas can live in either pairs or colonies.
Awesome thanks so much! I do like imbellis but I am interested in learning about the rest of them. Do you have to have a 30 gallon for like four of these guys? Guys as in imbellis.

I am interested in keeping a pair in a 10 gallon. The issue is I don't want to breed.

Small Tanks
Yeah I wouldn't do 4 in less than 30.

And if you do a pair in a 10 just don't pull the fry if they do breed. The parents will eat them.

FishWithTim
Yeah I wouldn't do 4 in less than 30.

And if you do a pair in a 10 just don't pull the fry if they do breed. The parents will eat them.
Kind of figured that but wanted to make sure. Thank you. Finally, what is a good website or resource to buy them from?

Edit: I have a 29 gallon would 1 gallon make a serious impact?

Small Tanks
The web site I linked you for the Betta association has lots of information on them. A 29 may work for 4 - 6 of them

FishWithTim
The web site I linked you for the Betta association has lots of information on them. A 29 may work for 4 - 6 of them
Could they be with other fish in that group of 4-6?

Small Tanks
FishWithTim
Yup. If you wanted to do something that was regionally specific I would suggest 6 kuhlI loaches and a school of harlequin rasboras
Cool! Now where can I find wild bettas to purchase?

Small Tanks
THat you're going to have to source, I don't know where to get them in the states.

FishWithTim
THat you're going to have to source, I don't know where to get them in the states.
Do you know like a website that sells them?

MWR
Do you know like a website that sells them?
Wild Betta Community on Facebook - Anderson Mercedes and Yang Betta have fish coming in just about every month.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Sputnik
Replies
Views
hamilfin
Replies
Views
NavigatorBlack
Replies