EcoComplete Cichlid sand?

taylormarie213

Right now I have a bag of the Caribsea Eco Complete Black substrate I plan to put in my new 10gal planted tank. I want to top it off with sand for my future fish (a pair of dwarf cichlid such as multies (shellies) or another small cichlid) so they can have a soft surface. since I have the black substrate, I plan to have black sand and found Eco Complete African Cichlid Substrate Zack Black and was wondering if this is a good choice of sand.

Is it dirty and have to be washed? Because I have bought Flourite Black sand and it was filthy! I couldn't get it clean! I know that the sand has beneficial bacteria just like the Eco Complete substrate I already have and I was wondering if I really need it since the other substrate already has it, meaning, is it ok to wash it even if it will get rid of the beneficial bacteria in the sand?
Also, will it interact badly with the Eco Complete substrate I already have for my plants?

Another note, I want to have a schooling fish such as neon tetras and I do not want the sand to negatively affect them.
Are there any other black sand that you recommend?

Any other tips appreciated!

86 ssinit

Eco complete is useless. If you put sand over it the sand will sift down through it and end up under it.

FinalFins

Also multies being multies they are shell dwellers and have no need for plants, I think they actually don't like them.

New sand has no BB in it, maybe if it is wet.

taylormarie213

Eco complete is useless. If you put sand over it the sand will sift down through it and end up under it.
People said it was very good for live plants so I went with that recommendation. I can’t return it to the store.

taylormarie213

Also multies being multies they are shell dwellers and have no need for plants, I think they actually don't like them.

New sand has no BB in it, maybe if it is wet.
It’s not going to be heavily planted just some here and there and on the big rock I have

FinalFins

What kind of plants do you want?

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Shrimp42
Replies
Views
smee82
Replies
Views
huntress1181