Question Eco-complete With Sand Over It - Good Idea?

JJBriant

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have a 29 gallon aquarium with 2 amazon sword, 2 java fern, 3 Anubias, 2 vallisneria, and some small grass plants. I can’t reme what it is. My substrate is Carib-sea eco complete. My concern is that I have some Cory’s and a Bolivian ram and the eco complete is kind of large granules. I was thinking I could add a layer of sand on top of it. Do you think that would work for making it better for the bottom feeders? I just am afraid of making the eco complete not work by adding sand on top of it

jmaldo

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
When I started I used Eco, my cories had no problem with it. My Plants grew like crazy.Then decided to give Bolivians a try. During research it was mentioned they are earth eaters they take mouthfuls of sand and sift through it. So I topped off the Eco with sand on 1/3 of the tank. At first they did spend more time on the sanded area. Over the course of a month or so the sand settled into the nooks and crannies. Eventually, due to vacuuming and the cories digging the sand all but disappeared below the Eco. So I ended up with a Eco and sand mixture and with no negative effects on the plants.

HHZH3HY.jpg

Good Luck

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom