Eco-complete substrate

mollycasy

Reaction score
setting up new freshwater/live plant 29 gal tank using eco-complete substrate,do I top it off with regular gravel before I plant my plants?

Radcliffe

Valued Member
Reaction score
I don't think you need to, no. I have it in my 29 gallon and it has been just wonderful. Both my fish and plants seem to like it :)

--R

mollycasy

Reaction score
Radcliffe said:
I don't think you need to, no.  I have it in my 29 gallon and it has been just wonderful.  Both my fish and plants seem to like it :)

--R
Thank-you. Did you first cycle your aquarium before you planted ? Do you have live plants?

Radcliffe

Valued Member
Reaction score
My tank is just now finishing the cycling process, and yeah I am planning for a very planted tank. The plant I have planted so far are taking root nicely and some have even doubled in size in the 4 weeks or so I have had them. I put live plants in each tank right from the start, adding and moving htem around a bit as time passes. I am planning to get some eco-complete for my other tanks as well, if only to use some in the corners where the plants are- I think my bottom feeder cory cats would love the sandy texture. The description of it said that the eco-complete helps the tank cycle because the water it is packed in already has some of the good bacteria. I can say from experience that I highly recommend it, and am planning on purchasing more. I just got one package for my 29, and have it in with some small very smooth pebbles. My ottos seem to spend their entire day cleaning each pebble thoroughly. I am planning on a second bag for that tank, to give a bit more depth for the plant roots.

hamstermann

Valued Member
Reaction score
So how do you add that stuff without getting cloudy muddy water and making the fish sick?

Radcliffe

Valued Member
Reaction score
You just pour it in! For me it was a bit cloudy for the first few hours, but no fish got sick or even stressed.

--R

hamstermann

Valued Member
Reaction score
you said the texture was like sand - what exactly is in the substrate? Is it dirt or actual sand or what?

Radcliffe

Valued Member
Reaction score
It is small gravel to sand- different sizes mixed together. The description says that the sand will settle to the bottom to be good for plant roots. It is black, which is nice, and packed in water that is healthy for your aquarium. So, it is not dirty, but more like different small grades of tiny gravel/sand

PrayforMojo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
could you not just plant them in standard gravel?

Radcliffe

Valued Member
Reaction score
mojoman101 said:
could you not just plant them in standard gravel?
Oh, we could yes. However, for tanks with a lot of plants and more delicate ones, a substrate meant for plants will give them better texture for the roots, etc. I want a lot of plant life in my 29 gallon, so I am using the eco-complete. For the other tanks I am using plain black gravel and fewer, more hearty plants.

I also got a bag of the black tahitian moon sand, I am trying to figure out what fish will enjoy it the most :)

--R

PrayforMojo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Very cool, thank you. I am thinking about getting a java fern. I understand they are good starter plants. Have you ever grown one from a bulb or do you recommend buying full grown?
mojo

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom