eco complete expire?

hamstermann

Valued Member
Reaction score
does eco complete expire?

I'm working on buying everything I need for a planted second 55 gal and for budgetary reasons, I'm having to buy things one at a time (the filter with one paycheck, the tank 3 or 4 paychecks, the substrate with another, etc.) and I want to buy some eco complete. So far all I've bought is the XP2 pump (assuming pet mountain ever gets around to shipping it to me.) If I buy the eco now, will all that beneficial bacteria die if If don't put it into a tank right away?

Radcliffe

Valued Member
Reaction score
Ooh same here, I am working up to a 55 gallon here too- I have the tank but need a lot of supplies still. I think the substrate will be just fine as long as it remains unopened. Since it is a mail order product it would need to have shelf life. :) The best deal on it I have found is at the Dr and Smith site, as the shipping stays the same up to a price if you buy more than one bag it gets to be a better deal. I got one of the eco complete and one tahitian moon sand to use in a tank someday- and they arrive tomorrow! It might be a while before I use them as I am not absolutely certain how I will arrange everything yet :)

--R

hamstermann

Valued Member
Reaction score
Radcliffe said:
It might be a while before I use them as I am not absolutely certain how I will arrange everything yet :)

--R
That'll be my dilemma too - decided how to arrange things and what to put in. So far all I have is the filter. I'll have to get the tank last because as soon as I have it, I'll want to put everything in it and get it running right then.

marek313

Reaction score
I'm guessing here but that stuff sits in the warehouse for a while before its sold. As far as beneficial bacteria I think its more merketing scheme more then anything else. In order to have beneficial bacteria stay alive you would have to keep the substrate cool and feed it. Without fish waste those bacteria would die. Besides I dont know about you but I would still rinse it before putting it in the tank. I think the most important reason people buy ech complete is for the minerals and nutrients not bacteria.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom