Eco-Complete Cichlid

1. fishingman001 Well Known Member Member

I was looking at the product Eco-Complete Cichlid and had a few questions.

Since my ph is at about 6.4, will the Eco-Complete raise it too fast so my fish go into shock? Also how much is needed for a ph of around 7.5? Should I remove my pea gravel and just use that or can that go in with the pea gravel?

:;thx

2. Regal Well Known Member Member

Is this the same tank from your Amazon Sword thread?

3. fishingman001 Well Known Member Member

yes it is (even though the ph is low in all my other tank too)

i have done water change but the ph remains the same or get to around 6.8 then goes back down to 6.4-6.5

EDIT: I just noticed a thread below mine that talks about the same info. Sry for not looking before. D'oh!

4. Regal Well Known Member Member

Maybe you could put some crushed coral in a filter bag and put it in your filter. I was having trouble with my ph going too low but the crushed coral is working perfectly. Cichlid substrate is more for African Cichlids. Convicts need water with a ph of 7-8. I was assuming they needed a lower ph but that's what the fishlore convict info says. I just wonder if you are going to end up with a tank perfectly suited for Africans with a really high ph.

I don't have experience with Convicts but maybe someone else can help...

5. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

cons do fine in the higher ph..i have a few in there ;)
    and ecco complete or crushed coral, raises it gradually..it wont happen over night and it allows the fish to adapt...

6. fishingman001 Well Known Member Member

thanks. i found some coral i can put in there.

7. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

coral will take longer....and its got to be quite a bit to make a difference..but wishing you well!

8. fishingman001 Well Known Member Member

thanks Shawnie.