Echinodorus “ozelot” growth rate

TClare

Just wondering, I was given this tiny plant in January this year, as an extra when I exchanged some cichlid fry for aquarium stuff. I was told it would grow very big but it has been growing very slowly. I will post pictures of when I got it and now. The oto in the second photo will give an idea of scale. Most of my plants are growing very quickly. I do not use C02. The substrate is mainly river sand but with some aquasoil as well. I have used various different liquid fertilisers depending on what I can get, but at the moment just using potassium. Do they always grow this slowly?

31BE91DB-18AF-4AF6-BFAC-3E44110B3155.jpeg
9DF648AC-885C-4597-BD59-34008E1B8F56.jpeg

strobukm

I got two ozelots at the exact same time maybe 6 months ago. They were the same size, but have grown at vastly different rates in the same tank. One is in the front of the tank, with more red on the leaves, and one is well over twice the size in the back of my tank with leaves that are much more green with fewer red spots. I’m not sure if there are different variations, but yours looks much more like the one in the front of the tank that is growing much more slowly. Root tabs help a ton if you’re not already using them.

Attachments

• B7B00D4C-530E-471C-A3BA-BEF9C65BF129.jpeg
    B7B00D4C-530E-471C-A3BA-BEF9C65BF129.jpeg
    279.3 KB · Views: 13

TClare

That is strange, that your two grow so differently in the same tank! I haven’t actually tried root tabs yet, I might give it a go.

carsonsgjs

I had one of these tclare. I didn’t use anything for it - just threw it in plain gravel and it probably achieved a size on the lower end of its range within 6 months. I don’t recall it being a slow grower even with the conditions I provided, so I’m surprised yours hasn’t taken off. Root tabs are worth a try.

Mine ended up being buried alive by a digging cichlid so i had to pull it out!

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
29 Gallon Tank Better growth in a 29g
Replies
Views
Mudminnow
Replies
Views
sairving
  • Question
Replies
Views