EBJD question. 55 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Hendrix Fish, Mar 21, 2010.

1. Hendrix Fish

Hendrix Fish Valued Member Member

Hi, I was getting a new 55 gallon tank sometime in the future. I heard that EBJD are less aggressive so they need less space, if that's true can you put anything in the tank along with it in the tank? If so, what? If you need to know any info. about the tank just ask. I was also wondering about substrate, would pool filter sand work, because that just seems like it would kill the fish. I know Jack Dempsey's are diggers so should I get sand or gravel, if you could list the pros and cons that would be awesome. Thanks in advance.

O0

Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
  2. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

An EBJD needs the same size tank as a normal JD IMO. I have heard they are more peacefull to but that doesn't mean that it is a peacefull fish at all. Just more peacefull than a normal JD is. It is still an american cichlid so that means it will have some level of aggression & you will need to pick tankmates wisely.

Why do you think PFS would kill the fish? For fish that spend a fair amount of thier time digging you are better off having a sand substrate. It is much less likely to cause damage to the fishes mouth & gills. I'm no fan of sand substrates but for digging fish it really is the best choice for the fishes sake.

3. OP
    OP
    Hendrix Fish

Does that mean I can put another tankmate in, if I choose wisely or do research.

4. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

welcome to fishlore!!
    Yes you can have some other tank mates for your ebjd....heres some that ive had with my jd's and would mix with them (of course not all of them )
    firemouths
    convicts
    pictus catfish
    parrot fish

5. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

I think a 55gal would be suitable for a pair of EBJD but I could be wrong. Perhaps some of the other members that have more experience with JD's would be able to answer that one better for you. You could probably get away with something like a Firemouth & a Bristlenose Pleco in a 55gal with an EBJD but again you should really wait for other members with more JD experience to confirm that or rule it out.

6. OP
    OP
    Hendrix Fish

So I could get 2 or 3 convicts with the EBJD? If that's not the case then just say so and give me more combinations, I'm also fine with just 1 EBJD or normal JD if that's what makes the fish happy. And thank you Shawnie for welcoming me.

7. Shawnie

How about a convict, your ebjd, a bristle nose plec and a firemouth?

8. OP
    OP
    Hendrix Fish

That'll work? Or maybe keep out the convict and have the plec and firemouth. I'd like that.

9. Shawnie

sounds good to me :)
    get pics for us all to see !

10. OP
    OP
    Hendrix Fish

Thank you! I'll get the pics up once it's up and running, which may be a while because of the nitrogen cycle, but I'm getting live sand (freshwater south american BTW) to shorten it.

11. bolivianbaby

bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to Fishlore! Excellent advice from Shawnie!

I keep convicts with my JD's.

12. Shawnie

never heard of sa live sand to help with the cycle.thats new to me :)
    tetra safestart is the only product I swear by with the proper bacteria...goodluck with cycling! thats always the longest parts...but keeping extra filter media in all your tanks makes things go much faster for future use!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice