Ebjd Not Acting Right.

1. Docgab

Docgab New Member Member

Hi all,

I have a small EBJD (about 1.5 - 2 in). I've had him for about a month that. He has always been very hearty, eats well and not very shy.

For the past 4 days or so he has taken to hiding at the back of the tank up high or down low in the corner. He doesn't look any different. Every now and then he looks like he is trying to spit something out.

He wants to eat and takes it into his mouth but then spits it out only to try and eat it again.

Water parameters are nitrite - 0, ammonia - 0, nitrate - 5 ppm. My weekly water change is tomorrow.

It almost seems like he has something stuck in his throat. Not sure what to do for the little guy.

Any/all help is appreciated!

2. Claire Bear

Claire Bear Well Known Member Member

My EBJD stays hidden often. This is the second one I have owned and it seems to me this is what they do. I have watched mine eat and not seen what you are describing though. Is it large pellet that you are feeding? Or have you recently changed food? If neither of those are the case, my advice is to keep an eye for a bit as fish can eat less often but young ones such as yours do need to eat more frequently. Good luck!

3. OP
    OP
    Docgab

Docgab New Member Member

I have tried several types of food. Flakes, granules, frozen, peas. He wants to eat them all but them spits them out. He has never had a problem eating prior and would mix it up with the bigger fish to get his food.

It's odd. He looks ok, he is swimming ok, he is definitely less active though and the inability to eat.

I appreciate your input.

4. Mike1995

Mike1995 Well Known Member Member

is there any other fish with him? I've noticed with mine when I first got him since he was so tiny he'd get chased around more. since then I've added lots of cover and he eats a ton. Since yours is so small maybe you could try soaking the pellets to soften then up. Maybe he's having a hard time swallowing

5. OP
    OP
    Docgab

Docgab New Member Member

He has been eating all the foods fine for the month I have had him.

I am now noticing a long white string coming from him. It doesn't even look like stringy poop. It is like a white hair being popped out.

6. Mike1995

Mike1995 Well Known Member Member

probably a parasite. Try to find some medication for him

7. OP
    OP
    Docgab

Docgab New Member Member

Thank you all for your help!