Ebc Concerns... Possibly Molting Related

1. kyrcrafter

kyrcrafter Valued Member Member

So I've got some concerns about my Electric Blue Crayfish (procambarus alleni).

About a month ago I posted that I was worried about him turning red (Help - Electric Blue Crayfish... Turning Red?) and some people mentioned it may be because he was ready to molt. I'll quote some things (both from the post and responses - though I may edit some due to changed circumstances and update certain things or elaborate on certain info provided) just to speed things along: "I don't think it's related to a molt because I haven't seen any molting behaviors recently (that's actually another concern of mine, he hasn't shown ANY molting behaviors - not even those of a failed molt - maybe related to this issue?). He's been getting lots of calcium and spirulina - both from his food (Hikari Crab Cuisine & Tetra Pro Pleco Wafers - occasional veggies and may start feeding small fish and ghost shrimp) and cuttlebone. He hasn't really appeared to be stressed and he has plenty of hiding space. The water is hard. The pH is neutral. Temp is alright. The water is well oxygenated. Nitrites and nitrates are fine. No ammonia. I actually did notice the redness started getting worse when I switched the ammonia medication I was treating it with (his tank doesn't have an ammonia problem - I kind of use it as a preventative bc I'm a little paranoid since I've had a lot of ammonia issues in the past). I switched from Kordon AmQuel to API AmmoLock (due to availability at the time) a while back. TheAmmoLock actually seemed to work better in the tanks that did have ammonia issues. Could the AmmoLock be the problem? It doesn't say not to use it with crustaceans... I've also been treating with Microbe-Lift Artemis and Microbe-Lift Herbtana as well (which state they are safe for all aquatic life). I figured it could only help the situation." **Note: when I posted this, which was about a month ago, I originally mentioned his appetite and behavior were still normal, but the past few weeks that has not been the case. He does not seem to be eating much if at all and he's inactive, staying scrunched up next to his rock cave most of the time (yes I've checked to make sure he's alive).** zhHRnDX_d.jpg

I recently read something only very slightly relieving on a website about the coloration (Procambarus Alleni): "Almost all of the body of the procambarus alleni is blue in color. Some may have red sides or speckling on the area of the under belly. The aquarium trade breed is mostly a brilliant blue. There are chances of those caught in the wild to be blue, brown or red in color." along with some photos: Procambarus-Alleni-Photos.jpg
    Procambarus-Alleni-Pictures.jpg

The reason this is only slightly reassuring is because he didn't start this way. He changed over time and it wasn't like his color was different after a molt - which I know happens sometimes - it changed progressively as opposed to instantly, without him molting. My main concern now is pretty much just that - that he still hasn't molted - although as I mentioned the color change still doesn't seem right to me either. The fact that now his behavior and appetite have also changed is what causes me to reach out - he's one of two survivors left of a mass death due to an ammonia spike (surprisingly both survivors are invertabrates) I had a few months ago and I am very VERY attached to him. My main question is, how often should an EBC molt? I know it's partially dependent on temperature (72°F - yes I know some say that's tad warm but some say that's okay and that's the lowest I can get it anyway) and age (unknown - he is not at full size but not exactly a juvenile either), but can someone at least maybe give me a rough estimate? Can anyone tell me what might be causing this? Am I in danger of losing him? o~o''

2. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Giving this a bump up for you

3. OP
    OP
    kyrcrafter

kyrcrafter Valued Member Member

Thank you :/