Eb Acaras....

1. thesoulpatch

thesoulpatch Well Known Member Member

Hey so I have 3 acaras I bought all at the same time, they were the same size and now 2 of them have grown to about 3-5 inches while the little guy is barely pushing 1.5-2 in. I'm wondering what I can do to help fatten him/her up and make it so it doesn't get picked on as much. Since its the smallest thing in there atm. I feed 2-3 times a day and vary the food, it eats a ton just like the others but it's not growing...

2. sweendog87

sweendog87 Valued Member Member

You may have a mating pair and your midget is the one left out either retank him or put more fish in depending on your tank size maybe a school and another mid sized American to take the focus off him is there sufficient hiding spaces acaras like to bully

3. OP
    OP
    thesoulpatch

thesoulpatch Well Known Member Member

The other two are males for sure, I think the smaller one might be a female. Hard to tell, but the smaller ones dorsal fin is short and rounded compared to the other two whose are long and pointed. (that is the sign of a male right?)

I'd like more fish but i already have 3 of those, 2 dempseys, 1 firemouth, and 1 rhino pleco. Not sure If i'd be able to get more in there when they grow up...or can I?

also it's a 75 gallon sorry

4. Mike1995

Mike1995 Well Known Member Member

The males could be fighting her and each other for mating purposes. Be careful with the Jack's. They can get big and have potential to harass less aggressive cichlids. Especially if they turn into a pair