How Do I Eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Sneaky Fatman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I cannot get my africans to come off the bottom of the tank they are usually too busy folllowing each other around that they never seem to notice when i put food in. I went and got some hikari gold and they dont even know its there.

I have given them bloodworms and they will eat those but only because they float right past them. How can i get my cichlids to come to the top of the tank to eat?

btate617

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Skip a day or two of feeding that should do the trick.

If it is floating food and they have been getting sinking food say it will take a few days to learn to come to the top.
If you have had them for awhile and they just aren't noticing the food I would suggest the above. Africans are not picky, once they know where the food is going to be they will be on it.

Brian

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Wow, this is one thread I was NEVER expecting. Mine are little beggers 24/7.

Excellent advise from Brian. Be careful not to overfeed. Once you have the tank fully stocked, that'll help give you the awesome African feeding frenzy that makes these fish some of my all time favs

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
im worried about the tank parimeters.....being the tank is so new, how was it cycled so fast? africans, NEVER need a fasting day in this house....ANY human walks by and they are begging severely at the top for food.....somethings going on thats not normal....you are way understocked as well ....africans do best overstocked so they dont have just a few to pick on....1m to 2-3f ratio is best...in a 55g tank, 15-18 fish is great(from the stock list you have).....as well , africans dont do protein (meats) that well....they need more of a veggie diet with an occasional treat of proteins

OP
A Sneaky Fatman

A Sneaky Fatman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Ok! Question Time!

1. I should add more fish?

2. Is it normal for them to school?

3. What do you guys feed yours?

4. This one is actually an answer. The tank has been up and running for almost a month now and the filter was seeded with the filter media from my 20 gal, although i didnt know it at the time. The replacement filter i got from the walmart had no filter bags and i put in the only one i had and one of the spare ones i had.

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
hi sneaky! can you get your current readings for ammonia/nitrites/nitrates for us? N/A doesnt tell us anything...and I feel the tank could probably have not finished the cycle or is in a mini cycle.seeding a 55g from a 20g, isnt impossible, but very hard to achieve unless the 20g was overstocked ...either way though, knowing your current readings will help allot

some advice to your questions

1. yes you should but wait until we find out if its properly cycled...
2. some will school but mostly its a chase n catch kind thing with africans....
3. mine get a high quality veggie flake, veggie sticks, romain lettuce, and the occasional frozen thawed bloodworms/brine shrimp...

OP
A Sneaky Fatman

A Sneaky Fatman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I did the test and a 30% water change and the readings were

Ammonia~.25
nitrates~5 ppm
nitrites 0

the tank the original filter came from had my 12" pleco and 3.5" gourami in it

and with the schooling thing they are aggressive sometimes but usually only when one comes over to a hole or object that another is currently hiding in and even then it isnt a big deal

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
its not cycled which could be playing a major effect on everything as well......at this point, find some prime or amquel+ ....one of those is VERY important....what I would do , is one of 2 things, after you acquire the prime or amquel+, whichever you feel more comfortable with....

1. if you feel better cycling first, the amquel+ or prime, will detox the ammonia/nitrites with your daily water changes, to keep the fish safe....be prepared though as the current fish, have been exposed to ammonia/nitrites so they may still succumb to the issue ....the better they feel with the daily changes, be prepared for the aggression to pick up ....continue this everyday until you have 0 for ammonia/nitrites and 5-20 nitrates....

2. or, id get 2-3 more zebras and labs when you get the product ....add them all at the same time after doing a 30-40% water change with the product...if your ph is much lower in your tap, than your tank, do a smaller water change........normally you wouldnt do this in an uncycled tank, but with africans, and the fact you are going to have to start doing DAILY water changes anyway, id get some more stock with it to keep the aggression down.......acclimating slowly of course....you will need to do the daily changes with the prime or amquel+ every day with or without new fish.....

goodluck and hope things work out ok!

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
at this point, you just want to be doing daily water changes with the prime....the ammonia remover im not familiar with ....and you want to run your tests, 24 hours AFTER adding prime and any other products but right BEFORE you do another water change...that way none of the chemicals are interfering with your test results..prime will NOT remove ammonia, only detox it to keep fish safe.....have you tested your tap water at all to make sure you have no ammonia/nitrites/nitrates in there? that could be where some of your readings are coming from also

OP
A Sneaky Fatman

A Sneaky Fatman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Tested the prior results before i did the daily water change.

Tested my tap water that i let sit out after the water change got 0 for everything did not add prime

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 24 22.6%
  • No

Votes: 9 8.5%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 73 68.9%

Top Bottom