Eating Problems

matt 63

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hey can I please get some advice on how to feed fish that won't come to the top and eat? I have 11 African cichlids and 1 pictus catfish, 3 out of the 11 cichlids will not come to the top to eat, the water conditions are perfect and they look heathy and don't seem stressed but want come up to eat, and now I can't feed my pictus catfish the sinking pellets cause the other fish gets it as soon as I drop it in the tank, which they didn't do at first, and I feed the cichlids floating pellets. Please help me

Fashooga

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You might need to feed the fish when the lights are off. The fish won’t see the dropping pellets and might ignore it. You can do this when most are sleeping.

Another way is to feeding floating pellets to distract the fish and throw the sinking ones down while they’re busy eating the floating pellets.

matt 63

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Fashooga said:
You might need to feed the fish when the lights are off. The fish won’t see the dropping pellets and might ignore it. You can do this when most are sleeping.

Another way is to feeding floating pellets to distract the fish and throw the sinking ones down while they’re busy eating the floating pellets.
Ok i will do that for the catfish, what can I do for the cichlids that want eat, they seem really hungry just won't come up to the top, do I need to hand feed them somehow?

_IceFyre_

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
You could try soaking the food in declorinated water before feeding so it sinks a bit for the other cichlids.

matt 63

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
IceFyre1414 said:
You could try soaking the food in declorinated water before feeding so it sinks a bit for the other cichlids.
Ok thanks

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Are the cichlids that aren’t eating getting bullied by the other ones? Less dominant fish would rather hide than come out to eat. How long have you had all the fish? Do they have enough decor to feel comfortable so they will come out?

Its a good idea to feed on both ends of the tank to spread the fish out. Some fish will go after floating foods but most seem to prefer going for food in the water column. You should try sinking pellets and/or flakes for all of them and see who eats what.

Last question, are the ones that won’t eat spitting food, have sunken bellies and stringy clear/white poo?

Ioana Dog

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Demeter said:
Are the cichlids that aren’t eating getting bullied by the other ones? Less dominant fish would rather hide than come out to eat. How long have you had all the fish? Do they have enough decor to feel comfortable so they will come out?

Its a good idea to feed on both ends of the tank to spread the fish out. Some fish will go after floating foods but most seem to prefer going for food in the water column. You should try sinking pellets and/or flakes for all of them and see who eats what.

Last question, are the ones that won’t eat spitting food, have sunken bellies and stringy clear/white poo?
Some of my fish spit their food out and I thought it was because they didn’t like it, could it be something else? Their bellies are round and poop normal.

matt 63

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Demeter said:

The fish that wont eat, I had about two to three weeks and the other one I had about seven weeks, and they don't get bullied alot and they tend to swim with the other fish just wont eat with them, And they have plenty of hiding, and there poo is stringy but not white and sometimes the other fish will hold on to a few pellets and spit them back out

Demeter said:

Can I take the shrimp pellets that I feed the catfish and cut them up to feed the cichlids, and what does white poop mean?

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Fish spitting food usually means either they don’t like it (unusual for Africans) or they may have internal parasites.

I’d stay away from shrimp pellets. High protien foods can cause Africans to get malawi bloat. Most species of Africans do just fine with spirulina based pellets. I use Cobalt pellets and they love it. They are sinking pellets and pretty “high end” but I think they are worth the extra $$

matt 63

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Demeter said:
Fish spitting food usually means either they don’t like it (unusual for Africans) or they may have internal parasites.

I’d stay away from shrimp pellets. High protien foods can cause Africans to get malawi bloat. Most species of Africans do just fine with spirulina based pellets. I use Cobalt pellets and they love it. They are sinking pellets and pretty “high end” but I think they are worth the extra $$
Can I feed them blood worms until I get some sinking pellets, it will be a few days, and what can I treat internal parasites with, if that was the case? and thanks for all the advice

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'd dose the tank with Prazipro, it is very easy on the fish and does the job. Only side effect is a bit of frothy water but it goes away after a few water changes.

As I said, stay away from high protein foods, which blood worms are considered to be. I've even seen blood worm packages that say specifically not to feed to African cichlids. Plant/algae based foods are best for most species of Africans. Better to play it safe than lose fish to bloating.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom