Eating Each Other Help

Discussion in 'Snails' started by Viccy, May 20, 2018.

1. Viccy

Viccy New Member Member

Ok here’s the deal , I have 24 apple/mystery snails in a tank by themselves , they have calcium blocks and they get shrimp every night plus they get bottom feeder wafers . So here is my problem , they are eating each other , there Cana also ! How do I stop this

2. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

How are they eating each other?

Tank size?
    Parameters?

3. Mazeus

Mazeus Well Known Member Member

If they are cannibalising each other, that could suggest they aren't getting enough food. Have you tried upping how much you feed them?

4. OP
    OP
    Viccy

Viccy New Member Member

These are young snails , our first babies , originally in a 30g ,once eggs were laid they were move to a 5.5g , this is were they are now . The tank is planted and a fake barrel and small rock , things to climb on . Water temp is 78 degree’s PH , ammonia , nitrite and nitrate are perfect . The largest snail is the size of a nickel and the smallest is the size of a dime.They get 6-8 hours of light each day . Any help you can offer is appreciated , Thank you .

5. OP
    OP
    Viccy

Viccy New Member Member

They are being given more than usually amount of food and they are eating each other through the shell which makes me think they need calcium but they. Get enough , once they eat a block down it is replace immediately .

6. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

What are the exact parameters?

7. Bithimala

Bithimala Fishlore VIP Member

Typically these guys will not eat/attack each other. Are you sure they're all healthy and there aren't any that have died and been eaten?

8. wodesorel

wodesorel Well Known Member Member

Are they Canas? The one I had years ago was a hunter, she would balloon down and attack my kuhli loaches and the ADFs I had at the time. Took me a while to figure out who was doing it. I even tried feeding cat food to supply more protein but she wanted to eat anything she could get ahold of!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice