easy to breed SA cichlids

1. ScottsTanks Well Known Member Member

Hey guys I would like to take a break from reef keeping and go back to my cichlids. I got a 29g set up and put some Convicts in it because I love their breeding colors and its fun to see their spawning behavior. I have a 55g that is in its planning stages still. My wife wants Frontosas but I think a 55g is too small. I was thinking FOWLR but I want to take a break from salt. So now I'm thinking a second SA cichlid tank with some easy to breed fish. My first thought was Severum cichlids because I've never owned them before. I'd like some fishlore imput about what would be some fun SA cichlids to breed on a hobby level.

2. RogueAgent94 Fishlore Legend Member

The vast majority of SA cichlids are fairly easy to breed. What kinds do you like? Do you want a just cichlid tank or would you like to keep other fish with them? You could try EBJDs. They are blue and your wife may like them.

3. ScottsTanks Well Known Member Member

I had an EBJD. His name was Jameson. he was the best fish there ever was. I could never replace him with another EBJD.

4. RogueAgent94 Fishlore Legend Member

Ooh, right. I forgot. How large do you want to have the tank? I was thinking perhaps you might like the Blackbelt Cichlid (Vieja maculicauda).

5. ScottsTanks Well Known Member Member

See this is why I come here lol I forgot all about the black belt

6. ScottsTanks Well Known Member Member

Another thought I had was Texas Cichlids.

7. RogueAgent94 Fishlore Legend Member

I really like Texas Cichlids actually! Well... I actually I like Green Texas Cichlids (Herichthys carpintis) which is often mixed up with the Blue Texas Cichlid (Herichthys cyanoguttatus). H.carpintis is more colorful IMO but they both have similar temperaments. I dunno if you want to try to breed them because they are fairly common anymore and you might have trouble rehoming the fry.

I also like Redhead Severums (Heros sp. "rotkeil"), Vieja bifasciatus (don't remember common name), and Chocolate Cichlids (Hypselecara temporalis). How large of a tank are you planning?

8. ScottsTanks Well Known Member Member

Its a 55g

9. allaboutfish Well Known Member Member

cutteri cichlids. i actually have some juvies available i could ship you. they have beautiful colors and very easy to breed.
    6839665552_79c64800f6.jpg
    (my picture)

10. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

In a 55g, I wouldn't advise keeping anything that gets larger than 10 inches. I have bred carpinitis in the past and really enjoyed the color change during spawning.

Another option would be neets (Neetroplus nematopus) if they are available in your area. Also, macaw cichlids (Hypsophrys nicaraguensis) are gorgeous and within a good size for a 55g.

Hope this helps!

11. RogueAgent94 Fishlore Legend Member

I had another idea!! What about Amphilophus lyonsi?? There is a pair up for sale on Aquabid. I'll PM you the link.

12. ScottsTanks Well Known Member Member

Wow those beautiful fish. The flower lines on them are spectacular. Not sure if I want to drop $80 right now though.

13. RogueAgent94 Fishlore Legend Member

One reason that I suggested them was because they are on the A.C.A. CARES list and they are endangered in the wild. They really are nice fish but I can understand you not wanting to drop $80 on fish just yet.

14. ScottsTanks Well Known Member Member

What I REALLY want is a pair of Amphilophus hogaboomorum :-D

15. RogueAgent94 Fishlore Legend Member

Yeah, they are fairly interesting. I've been looking at Thai Silk Flowerhorns recently LOL.

16. ScottsTanks Well Known Member Member

Its going to be a while until I try another FH. They just have so many problems due to all the hybridization. My last one only lived a week before it died from Hexamita.

17. RogueAgent94 Fishlore Legend Member

I usually buy mine from my breeder friends in Asia or I buy them online. Petstore FHs have really weak genetics.

18. ScottsTanks Well Known Member Member

Last time I saw a Thai Silk it was in California and it was $500 for a 6" male grade AA

19. RogueAgent94 Fishlore Legend Member

The one I'm looking at is 2.5" for $18.

20. ScottsTanks Well Known Member Member

wow nice. I paid $35 for a 1" ZZ Red Dragon at Petsmart