Easy Plants

Lefky

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have a 20 gallon long tank with gravel at the bottom. I wanted to start using live plants and I was wondering what plants I could keep in gravel and that can withstand temps around 75-85. I have root tabs and water fertilizer that I use for my amazon sword and moss ball.

Kiks

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I like the look of vallisnerias and IMO they're very easy to keep. I have managed to keep them healthy in a wide range of temperature, with no fertiliser and very low light (cause I kept a species that required this) and they still did pretty good.
Other than those I've seen people suggest cryptocorynes as easy plants, but I haven't had much luck with them.

OP
Lefky

Lefky

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Kiks said:
I like the look of vallisnerias and IMO they're very easy to keep. I have managed to keep them healthy in a wide range of temperature, with no fertiliser and very low light (cause I kept a species that required this) and they still did pretty good.
Other than those I've seen people suggest cryptocorynes as easy plants, but I haven't had much luck with them.
I will look into both of them thank you for the suggestion!

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hemianthus callitrichoides
Glossostigma elatinoides
Utricularia graminifolia
Riccia fluitans
Tonina belem
Blyxa japonica
Fissidens nobilis

-Mak-

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Fahn said:
Hemianthus callitrichoides
Glossostigma elatinoides
Utricularia graminifolia
Riccia fluitans
Tonina belem
Blyxa japonica
Fissidens nobilis
I don’t think this is good advice lol

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Lefky said:
I have decided to go with the fish and plants listed below. Would there be too many plants in the tank?
You can never have too many plants! Plant list looks good.

Fish list needs work. Cardinal tetras need much warmer temperatures than the rest of the fish on your list. Why not just do 8 neon tetras? They look very similar anyway. You could also bump up the cory numbers to 8 if you wished. If you are looking for something that really stands out and would be temperature compatible, I am a huge fan of dwarf emerald rasboras, and in a 20 long you could do a school of 10-12 easily. See the link below:

OP
Lefky

Lefky

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Fahn said:
You can never have too many plants! Plant list looks good.

Fish list needs work. Cardinal tetras need much warmer temperatures than the rest of the fish on your list. Why not just do 8 neon tetras? They look very similar anyway. You could also bump up the cory numbers to 8 if you wished. If you are looking for something that really stands out and would be temperature compatible, I am a huge fan of dwarf emerald rasboras, and in a 20 long you could do a school of 10-12 easily. See the link below:

I was looking into the cardinals because they are much hardier than neons. My water temp can get up to 82 at some times since I live in the desert. The emerald rasboras I think won't make it to that high of a temp, maybe pearl danios?

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Lefky said:
I was looking into the cardinals because they are much hardier than neons. My water temp can get up to 82 at some times since I live in the desert. The emerald rasboras I think won't make it to that high of a temp, maybe pearl danios?
If your water gets that warm then many of the cory species and paradise fish won't be good candidates either. May I suggest then:

1 german blue ram
8 cardinal tetras
8 emerald corydoras (or kuhlI loaches)

All these fish should be perfectly fine in water that's around 80 degrees, give or take.

OP
Lefky

Lefky

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Fahn said:
If your water gets that warm then many of the cory species and paradise fish won't be good candidates either. May I suggest then:

1 german blue ram
8 cardinal tetras
8 emerald corydoras (or kuhlI loaches)

All these fish should be perfectly fine in water that's around 80 degrees, give or take.
I believe the corys I have now are emerald corys; is the ram an aggressive or territorial fish? I need to do a bit of research on them. Would all the plants I listed be ok with that water temp?

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Lefky said:
I believe the corys I have now are emerald corys; is the ram an aggressive or territorial fish? I need to do a bit of research on them. Would all the plants I listed be ok with that water temp?
I've grown the majority of those plants in a warm tank without issues.

Rams are pretty docile, you might even consider a m/f pair. Females are just as colorful as the males are. They are sensitive to water chemistry though, so adding them last to a well established planted tank would be a good idea.

I'm just trying to consider that you'd prefer color in your tank. You might also like apistogrammas.

OP
Lefky

Lefky

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Fahn said:
I've grown the majority of those plants in a warm tank without issues.

Rams are pretty docile, you might even consider a m/f pair. Females are just as colorful as the males are. They are sensitive to water chemistry though, so adding them last to a well established planted tank would be a good idea.

I'm just trying to consider that you'd prefer color in your tank. You might also like apistogrammas.
The german blue ram is one of the fish that got me into fish keeping because of its colors. I have been testing my water weekly with weekly water changes and there has been 0 spikes in anything in the water. I am going on vacation this summer for a month and the house temp will be 83-87F for about 10 days then 80 for a week and back to 83-87F. I think I am going to get the corys and cardinals before this and all the plants, and purchase a male and female ram afterwards. Someone will be by 2-3 times a week to feed/ clean the tank. I have pictures of my corys below: they are the same species but 2 are albino.

Attachments

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Lefky said:
The german blue ram is one of the fish that got me into fish keeping because of its colors. I have been testing my water weekly with weekly water changes and there has been 0 spikes in anything in the water. I am going on vacation this summer for a month and the house temp will be 83-87F for about 10 days then 80 for a week and back to 83-87F. I think I am going to get the corys and cardinals before this and all the plants, and purchase a male and female ram afterwards. Someone will be by 2-3 times a week to feed/ clean the tank. I have pictures of my corys below: they are the same species but 2 are albino.
I would run an airstone on the tank while you're gone, as warm water holds less oxygen.

OP
Lefky

Lefky

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Fahn said:
I would run an airstone on the tank while you're gone, as warm water holds less oxygen.
I put an air stone in the water a week ago and the temp has done nothing but increase a few degrees. I think I may get a smaller air stone with a much less powerful generator for it. The filter I have now is external and attached to the side of the tank with the waterfall oxygenating the water. Would the rams or apistogrammes bother the corys at the bottom? What other colorful fish like that swim mid-top levels of the tank?