Easy plants to grow

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by rkpate, Jul 21, 2015.

1. rkpateNew MemberMember

I'm just starting out and I was wondering what plants are easy to grow its a tropical freshwater 125g tank with gravel substrate. I'll have lights that out out 320 watts.

2. Vulpes

VulpesValued MemberMember

3. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Personally, I think it's hard to grow anything in gravel. It's hard for plants with roots to spread and also for plants that send out runners. Gravel doesn't have any nutrients to begin with etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandonWell Known MemberMember

5. OP
    OP
    r

rkpateNew MemberMember

Ok thank you

6. sophi

sophiWell Known MemberMember

I agree, it's going to be tough to grow plants in gravel, especially if it's a nutritional plant substrate. However, I think Crypts and Amazon Swords would do well, given you make the substrate a bit more plant friendly. Anubias are also super easy and don't require a special substrate because you tie them to either rocks or driftwood- never plant them! You could also probably do things like Java moss since again, you don't have to plant it! But here's a little tip if you want to actually have some planted plants.

I recommend either buying root tabs, or making your own DIY root tabs. That will give your substrate a boost in nutrients and heavy root feeders should do well, given you provide proper lighting as well.

Here's what I've done in the past for DIY root tabs. I didn't use them long enough to really see if they made a huge difference, but they did seem to keep some of my plants alive when I went through a "oh no all my plants are dying" phase.

Basically take any empty capsules (http://www.amazon.com/Capsule-Conne...=UTF8&qid=1437564838&sr=1-1&keywords=capsules) and fill it with this plant fertilizer (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NI6WOM?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00). Place the capsules directly under the plants and wait and see how it goes. I've never had any problems with this product so I can back it up and say it will not harm your water or your animals. Just don't use too many haha. Anyways, in the long run, this will save you a bunch of money and practically works the same way the store root tabs do. Just my opinion though. :) Feel free to pm me if you have any questions about this method.

Good luck with your tank!!

7. OP
    OP
    r

rkpateNew MemberMember

Ok fganks!

8. OP
    OP
    r

rkpateNew MemberMember

Thanks!

9. Jswin

JswinWell Known MemberMember

Water wisteria will pretty much grow in anything

10. leftswerve

leftswerveWell Known MemberMember

anacharis and hornwort , either of which will float if need be, will do fine sunk in gravel, and can be cultivated very easily "snip and stick"
    Good luck

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice