Easy Fix For Disposable Filter Cartridges

Jellibeen

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I see these posts all the time. Filters that are designed to toss out and replace the whole cartridge every month, therefore throwing out the whole cycle.

Not everyone can easily afford a new filter. Sponge prefilters will help these situations a lot. It’s like adding a small sponge filter into the tank. No, it’s not as much surface area as is ideal but it does help. There’s no need to ever throw them out, and they only cost a few bucks.

There are other brands, but here’s the one I use

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Yes, but the majority of the benificial bacteria isn't in the actual filter. It's in the substrate, all over the decor, and all over the glass. All you really need is a flow pattern in the tank that distributes all the harmful chemicals do be processed by the bacteria.

OP
Jellibeen

Jellibeen

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
nikm128 said:
Yes, but the majority of the benificial bacteria isn't in the actual filter. It's in the substrate, all over the decor, and all over the glass. All you really need is a flow pattern in the tank that distributes all the harmful chemicals do be processed by the bacteria.
I’m gonna to disagree with you. From what I have read and my own experiences, a substantial amount of bacteria is in the filter. Otherwise you wouldn’t need any filter media, just something to move water around.

I can say from the time I washed my filter in chlorinated water and tossed out one of the large sponges, causing an ammonia outbreak, the bacteria in the filter is very important for the health of the tank.

Annie59

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Jellibeen said:
I’m gonna to disagree with you. From what I have read and my own experiences, a substantial amount of bacteria is in the filter. Otherwise you wouldn’t need any filter media, just something to move water around.

I can say from the time I washed my filter in chlorinated water and tossed out one of the large sponges, causing an ammonia outbreak, the bacteria in the filter is very important for the health of the tank.
I agree, in fact most of the "good" stuff is in the filter media. The gravel and decor hold very little. In my experience anyway.
That's why when starting a new tank we try to get some filter media from an established tank to help the cycle.

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I think we can have a good discussion about this if you all don't mind. I've gone without a filter running with media in my tank for around a week before with out any issues in the water quality, so obviously there must be a good amount of BB (benificial bacteria) outside the filter to keep the water the exact same. If you want, take a look at this video, it explains my thoughts better.

Annie59

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
We could, but maybe start another post so we don't over ride this one.

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
FishLore.com - Aquarium Fish
That's supposed to be a link to the one I just made. Doesn't look the same as usual though so it may not work

EDIT: Doesn't work the thread is currently in the unanswered tab titled
Importance Of Filters/filter Media (copy/pasted Part Of Another Thread)

New Threads