Easy Fertilizers

corbin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Have not had much luck growing plants in the past. looking to upgrade my lighting (a separate thread) but also looking to possibly add some fertilizers to the mix. I am hoping to have something i can dose with water changes every week or two to give my plants a boots and fight algea a little bit. I have heard flourish excel suggested for algea prevention and Thrive C suggested as a good all in one. Do i need both or would Thrive C help prevent algea on its own. could i get away with adding like once a week without water paramentesr fluctuating too much and stressing my fish? Any input would be appreciated. Thank you!

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Have not had much luck growing plants in the past. looking to upgrade my lighting (a separate thread) but also looking to possibly add some fertilizers to the mix. I am hoping to have something i can dose with water changes every week or two to give my plants a boots and fight algea a little bit. I have heard flourish excel suggested for algea prevention and Thrive C suggested as a good all in one. Do i need both or would Thrive C help prevent algea on its own. could i get away with adding like once a week without water paramentesr fluctuating too much and stressing my fish? Any input would be appreciated. Thank you!
The best ways to prevent algae are A) a large plantload and B) doing a weekly water change of at least 50%. The more live plants you have, the more competition algae has to contend with as all the plants will be consuming all the available nutrients. If you have a lot of fish or tend to overfeed, a large weekly water change will effectively cut the amount of waste and nutrients in your tank in half, taking away algae's food source.

The Thrive line of fertilizers is excellent. I use Thrive S as I have shrimp in all of my tanks, and my plants are green and healthy. I use Excel in a pinch to spot treat nuisance algae with a syringe and it is a great algaecide, though I'd rather use hydrogen peroxide as it is less toxic and breaks down into oxygen and water.

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
As most people here know I make extensive use of the Seachem line. But it involves a fair amount of time and effort. I use 8 of their products. Unless you want to go down the rabbit hole you might be better off with an all in one. But some of them leave you prone to algae.

Also Excel is hard on some plants (Val’s, sag and moss balls)

corbin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
The best ways to prevent algae are A) a large plantload and B) doing a weekly water change of at least 50%. The more live plants you have, the more competition algae has to contend with as all the plants will be consuming all the available nutrients. If you have a lot of fish or tend to overfeed, a large weekly water change will effectively cut the amount of waste and nutrients in your tank in half, taking away algae's food source.

The Thrive line of fertilizers is excellent. I use Thrive S as I have shrimp in all of my tanks, and my plants are green and healthy. I use Excel in a pinch to spot treat nuisance algae with a syringe and it is a great algaecide, though I'd rather use hydrogen peroxide as it is less toxic and breaks down into oxygen and water.
Thank you very much for the info! Very helpful! I have been reccomended thriveC but I will have to investigate the differences of thrive s. I am trying to get more plants growing. Have not had great luck in the past but I recently switched to a Flourite substrate, I am Investigating an upgraded lighting system to help and obviously fertilizers. Would I be ok dosing thrive just once a week? Just want to make sure I don’t end up with fluctuations that will stress the fish. If I run lights for a longer photo period would I want to use excel more often to prevent algae? Thanks again!

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Thank you very much for the info! Very helpful! I have been reccomended thriveC but I will have to investigate the differences of thrive s. I am trying to get more plants growing. Have not had great luck in the past but I recently switched to a Flourite substrate, I am Investigating an upgraded lighting system to help and obviously fertilizers. Would I be ok dosing thrive just once a week? Just want to make sure I don’t end up with fluctuations that will stress the fish. If I run lights for a longer photo period would I want to use excel more often to prevent algae? Thanks again!
Thrive C is for low tech, easy maintenance tanks. Thrive S is formulated for shrimp tanks and has lower levels of nitrogen and no copper.

Once a week will work depending on your lighting and your plants' needs. Unless you massively overdose fertilizers will not cause any stress to your fish whatsoever.

I would start your photoperiod out at 6 hours, and over the course of several weeks, bump it up to 7 and then 8. Excel isn't even necessary to be honest, and if you can have a planted tank without having to use it, I would recommend doing so.

corbin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Thrive C is for low tech, easy maintenance tanks. Thrive S is formulated for shrimp tanks and has lower levels of nitrogen and no copper.

Once a week will work depending on your lighting and your plants' needs. Unless you massively overdose fertilizers will not cause any stress to your fish whatsoever.

I would start your photoperiod out at 6 hours, and over the course of several weeks, bump it up to 7 and then 8. Excel isn't even necessary to be honest, and if you can have a planted tank without having to use it, I would recommend doing so.

Thank you very much for your input-
Low tech and easy would definitely describe my aquarium. All the thrive formulas say shrimp safe as far as I know. The focus of this tank is chilli Rasbora they don’t have a big bioload so I am thinking I might need the extra nitrogen? but I do have a cherry shrimp. Which thrive would you reccomend? Do you think I would need to upgrade lighting at this point (currently using old fluval spec V stock light) or would just increasing photoperiod be enough?
Thinking of a nicrew “plus” or “sky” or a Finnex stingray for a light upgrade. All $30-$40

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Thank you very much for your input-
Low tech and easy would definitely describe my aquarium. All the thrive formulas say shrimp safe as far as I know. The focus of this tank is chilli Rasbora they don’t have a big bioload so I am thinking I might need the extra nitrogen? but I do have a cherry shrimp. Which thrive would you reccomend? Do you think I would need to upgrade lighting at this point (currently using old fluval spec V stock light) or would just increasing photoperiod be enough?
Thinking of a nicrew “plus” or “sky” or a Finnex stingray for a light upgrade. All $30-$40
All their formulas are shrimp safe but S is specifically dialed in for shrimp-focused tanks. C or S would both be fine for your tank.

I like Finnex Stingrays, I've used them on all my low-tech setups. Regardless of your lighting I wouldn't do more than 8 hours per day.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom