Easy Cheap Things To Breed In A Ten

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by fishaholic87, Apr 17, 2018.

1. f

fishaholic87 Valued Member Member

beside least killi fish white cloud minnows guppies platies mollys endlers and zebra danois is there any cheap relitivly easy fish to breed in a ten i have a big 40 comunity they can be moved into if they will eat eggs/fry

2. Iridium_2256

Iridium_2256 Valued Member Member

I love myself some cichlids! I would try a pair of GBRs. Feed them bloodworms to get them to pair, and they should have some good hiding spots to lay their eggs. Once they hatch, i would move the parents to the 40 gallon as they can get spooked and eat their fry(or you could try to keep the parents in, but more will live without them most likely) Micro worms and brine shrimp are good things to raise the fry on until they are large enough to start taking some regular flake or pellet.

3. Rainbows and Fishes

Rainbows and Fishes Valued Member Member

Bettas are easy to breed and can be quite valuable

4. lizcateyes

lizcateyes Valued Member Member

Would depend on what you think is cheap and relatively easy, if you have had success breeding freshwater fish before, then I would say a freshwater fish you didn't mention is bettas. Bettas can be cheap, I have gotten lucky and found mislabeled bettas that if I had found females at the time I would have wanted to breed them. Most of the threads of betta spawning I've followed were done in ten gallon setups. Another option would be catfish, corydoras breeding sounds fairly simple if you can get them with the right ratio to induce spawning, there are spawning setups I have heard about done for them in ten gallons, too.

5. Mazeus

Mazeus Well Known Member Member

6. ParrotCichlid

ParrotCichlid Well Known Member Member

Convict cichlids are a great choice for breeding in 10g tanks.

While many will disagree i have seen plenty of successful convict breeding operations in 10g tanks on MFK.

7. Mcasella

Mcasella Fishlore VIP Member

Yes, but they aren't wanted as much as other fish because of the rate of production they go through with fry making it to adulthood. You will be hard pressed after the first two or three spawns to find homes or even give away the resulting (ones that make it to at least an inch) offspring.

8. OP
    OP
    f

thanks for the gbrs you mentioned putting them in the 40 will that work with a group of black skirt tetras harliquin rasboras cherry barbs and platys

will freeze dried blood worms work? for the gbr thats all i have availble

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2018
  9. yukondog

yukondog Well Known Member Member

The 40 should work, I feed mine frozen bloodworms.

10. OP
    OP
    f

thanks, after that ill do the sparkling gourami would they work in the 40 also

11. bizaliz3

bizaliz3 Fishlore Legend Member

12. Mazeus

They can be very shy if there are big fish in the tank, so it really depends what else is in the 40g. They are fine with other peaceful small fish (rasbora, tetra, boraras etc).

13. Aqua Hands

Aqua Hands Well Known Member Member

Bettas

14. Mazeus

One other thought, have you checked with your lfs to see what they would buy from you? If you have loads of sparkling gourami juveniles and no where to sell them that could be a problem.

You may have other plans for your breeding, and know where to sell. You may have other plans in which case, that's brill.

15. OP
    OP
    f

i sell at my local fish club if it doesnt sell the auctineer takes it home for a dollar

16. OP
    OP
    f

and the biggest fish in the 40 would be the black skirts at around 3 inch each

17. Nataku

Nataku Well Known Member Member

There are many breeds of killifish that can be bred in a 10. Surprised no one has brought them up yet.

18. phantom

phantom Valued Member Member

I know you said fish but some good invertebrates are shrimp and snails there great breeders btw (I'm aware I spelled the 9th word wrong lol)

19. OP
    OP
    f

i am doing carbon rili shrimp in one of my tens and snails ive breed ramshorns mystery and pest snail

20. OP
    OP
    f

what species of kilie? clown?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice