Easy Carpeting Plant(s)

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Dom90, Jul 26, 2015.

1. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Are there any carpeting plants that don't need pressurized co2?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. M

MichaelM Valued Member Member

My dwarf sag is spreading pretty well but ive noticed it collects a debri thats hard to get to.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

3. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

The thing with carpeting plants is most of them, if not all, are not submerged all the time. This is why it is easier to grow some of them emersed first, than add water to your tank. This is also why they need such high light, ferts, and CO2 in order to survive and grow when submerged.

Dwarf sags are about the only thing that will some what spread out on the substrate. I've never grown them in a low tech tank. But I hear some have success in doing so. I don't really consider it a carpeting plant, but it does stay low if trimmed down, and will spread out.

4. OP
    OP
    Dom90

Aha, the answer I been looking for, so I would've had to do this before I got all the fish and added water and stuff. What about staurogyne repens?

5. BDpups

Funny you should ask. I re-did my 29 gallon a month ago. Most of it is staurogyne repens. The tank was full when I planted it and it is spreading out wonderfully. I also saved a small portion of dwarf hair grass and some micro swords from before I changed it. I think I had 4 strands of each. The DHG is six or seven times that it started out as. And the swords probably take up around 3 square inches now.

6. OP
    OP
    Dom90

So I could do the staurogyne without co2 or? What kind of fert setup am I looking at?

7. BDpups

Dry ferts. EI dosing is what works for me.

And I don't know if they would stay low and not grow vertical without CO2 and high light or not. This is the first time I've had them.

8. OP
    OP
    Dom90

Ok so the DHG has spread across the bottom or vertically when you say six or seven times? Also how are the staurogyne repens doing after a month?

9. BDpups

The DHG is growing horizontally. The repens are looking awesome. Carpeting very nicely. I'll get some
    pics for you tonight.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice