Easiest Way To Get Rid Of Bba

1. Oliver T.

Oliver T. Valued Member Member

So I have had a problem with Blackbeard Algae (BBA). A really ugly looking black algae that could quickly spread and suffocate your plants. There are some methods to get rid of BBA, such as Siamese Algae Eaters or black mollies, but the easiest most reliable solution I found was using 2oz of bleach mixed with 40oz of water or 2:20 ratio of bleach to water. Just soak the plant in the bleach for 10min and after the time is up, take it out of the solution and give it a thorough rinse before putting it back into the tank. The algae should turn white after the rinse and you can rinse off the bleached algae or wait for it to fall off. I hope this guide helped you!

P.S- I don’t know if this method works for other algae

2. Adrian Burke

Adrian Burke Valued Member Member

Bleach doesn’t harm the fish?

3. OP
    OP
    Oliver T.

not if you give it a very thorough rinse

4. Adrian Burke

Adrian Burke Valued Member Member

Ohhhh thought you meant just pouring the bleach in the tank with fish in XD

5. OP
    OP
    Oliver T.

that would be terrible... lol

6. JLeeM

JLeeM Well Known Member Member

Will hydrogen peroxide do the same thing?

7. KinderScout

KinderScout Valued Member Member

I've tried a George Farmer method too which works well - especially if you can't remove items from the tank. Put the maximum single dose of glutaraldehyde solution for your tank size in a small container - take a small paintbrush and, whilst the algae is exposed during a water change, paint the glutaraldehyde onto it. A little goes a long way - I don't normally use this in the tank to provide carbon and this method means the dose in the tank is usually negligible and can never exceed the recommended dose. Do the same with anything that can be removed that has BBA on it. Wait 5 minutes and then replace any removed objects and refill the tank. The BBS turns purple after a while and, as above, it's now dead and can easily be removed. I used this on my filter intake (it's fixed inside the tank) and on some removable rocks some time ago and, despite ongoing battles elsewhere, it hasn't returned in the areas painted.