Easiest Saltwater Fish To Breed

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Well, clownfish are undoubtedly the easiest to breed (particularly the occ and percula varieties). Dottybacks are also pretty common among breeders and Cardinalfish. Probably a clown though if you are just looking to keep as easy as possible.

EBR55 said:
Another question, is there any way to have a saltwater tank with no live rock and only filters? Just wondering.
You can, but you will really have to stay on top of your water perameters as you will be effectively setting up a long term/oversized quarantine tank.

KinsKicks

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Arguably, cardinal fish (bangaii) was actually easier to breed than clowns; they are mouth brooders and ready for food once the yolk sac is absorbed (its kinda similar to cichlid species I had already bred); they don't have a larval stage you have to deal with. Hardest part is balancing fattening up the parents beforehand vs/+ when to feed during the brooding period, lest they eat their own babies. Clownfish weren't too difficult either, but there is a lot more of care involved ime since they have a larval stage that you need to dance around a bit; I actually ended up spending more (and more time) trying to raise the clownfish than the cardinals (both of which ended up as welcomed accidents lol). You also gotta keep down parents pretty fat beforehand so they don't go getting a taste for caviar lol

Depending on your experience level, if you are able to take are of them normally, seahorses have been the easiest things in the SW world that I have bred concerning the actual process; feeding is a bit trickier, but easier in some species than others; H. erectus is a good start and are easier to train on the prepared foods and a basic hardier seahorse. (And avoid the dwarves; they have a wonderful rep of being able to be raised with the parents and ease of getting them to the birthing stage, but feeding them, and is literally another job haha)

Nart

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Agreed with @KinsKicks
Clowns require a lot more care in the early stages. I heard it's chore of its own.

Mollies would probably be easiest to breed

Joshua2598

Reaction score
Ha I suppose mollies are the easiest to breed, you can add guppies to the mix also if you really want to. Just let them do their thing and give them some high quality baby foods

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom