Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Easiest Coral For A Low Lighting 20 Long

Discussion in 'Saltwater Beginners' started by Foobie97, Apr 3, 2019.

1. Foobie97Valued MemberMember

easiest coral for a low light 20 long

2. nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

Most soft corals will work without a fancy light setup.

3. Foobie97Valued MemberMember

Like with a basic light ?

4. abarbWell Known MemberMember

Which light are you taking about?

5. Foobie97Valued MemberMember

6. abarbWell Known MemberMember

7. Foobie97Valued MemberMember

Can u send a link for a light at least 60$ or less for a 20 long

8. abarbWell Known MemberMember

I don’t know of any. The cheapest that was recommended to me on this forum was more than $100.

9. fish 321Well Known MemberMember

10. Foobie97Valued MemberMember

Ok

11. AJEFishlore VIPMember

12. ryanrModeratorModerator Member

Respectfully, I disagree. Most soft corals would be considered medium to high lighting, and vary from low to high care.
    For a low light, easy care setup, you're looking at Clove Polyps (Clavularia sp), Button Polyps (Palythoa sp.) and mushrooms/morphs (Corallimorphidae sp.)

There are other low light and no-light corals, however they tend be on the moderate/high/expert care levels.

Also - keep in mind that lighting is just one factor in keeping corals. Flow, Temperature, salinity, alkalinity, magnesium and calcium also play a part.

13. Foobie97Valued MemberMember

So a fowlr would be best then ?

14. ryanrModeratorModerator Member

Hi, no, not necessarily, you just need to research what you want, and understand the requirements of a given species.

Have you read the beginner's guides (stickies) on how to start a saltwater system?

Saltwater is not difficult, as long as you do your research, and grow and learn and adapt. I don't want to be rude, but from what I can gather, you haven't decided on a tank size yet, one thread you're asking about 20G, the next is a 75G. It's kind of hard to keep up. It's really difficult to give advice when your threads seem to be 'hypothetical'.

In my guides, one of the suggestions I make is to determine the tank size you can accommodate, and work from there.

I know it's a lot to learn, it took me months and months of research, here on Fishlore and on other forums/sites, before I even decided on a tank size, then equipment, then stocking. And even then, it was still just on paper, I hadn't spent a dollar on the setup. Once I decided, then I asked more specific questions about what I was proposing to buy.

Stocking a saltwater tank is a compromise. If you want corals, some species of fish are out of the question. If you want inverts, some species of fish (and corals) are out of the question.

When it comes to lighting, there is so much info that it's hard to decide. Honestly, research each technology, and buy according to your end goal (that is, if you want a reef/corals, then buy an adequate light to start with, it works out more expensive at the start, but cheaper in the long run)

15. stella1979ModeratorModerator Member

Agreed with everything Ryan has said. Research is your best friend... each coral is different so will have its own needs... and the light isn't the only thing corals need.

I will only add that a young tank, without a lot of growing stony corals, generally does not need supplemental dosing to keep up with alk, calc, and mag (I usually refer to these as the Big 3 and proper levels of each is of paramount importance in a reef tank.) Healthy, growing, stony corals use these elements for their health and growth, so a full, thriving reef tank will need supplemental dosing because the levels achieved with quality salt water cannot keep up with the needs of the corals within the tank. So, monitoring these three is key... but a young tank that is not heavy on stony corals will probably not need supplemental dosing. Pure water mixed with quality marine salt and regular water changes will maintain proper parameter levels as long as the needs of the tank don't exceed what the salt provides. In other words... my own reef tank was a slow grower and I am a budget reefer. Because I didn't have lots of coral at first, and because each of those corals started fairly small... I did not need to start dosing for the Big 3 until the tank was nearly a year old.

@ryanr 's guides are great! I read those a few times before water hit my tank. The beginner's guide by @Nart is fabulous too, and lastly, Bulk Reef Supply's YouTube channel (BRStv) is full of great information.

16. Foobie97Valued MemberMember

I got a 20 long rn

I got a 20 long rn I bought at the sale, I was planning too try too get a bigger tank but no luck

17. NartWell Known MemberMember

for a 20g long.... your cheapest most viable route in lighting would be a Current Marine Orbit. You'll outgrow those lights probably after 3-6 months though and will want to move into more serious lighting, around $200
    I don't know of any other cheaper lighting for a 20g long for corals. Bigger the tank will usually cost more money too.

18. AJEFishlore VIPMember

(A little off topic) I don’t have any interest in saltwater but I’m reading this because I’m getting the alerts lol

19. Foobie97Valued MemberMember

Ah, my lps sells a 50/50 light for 25$

20. nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

What light is it?