easiest cichlid to breed

1. c

convict15 Valued Member Member

I would really like to breed cichlids, and would like to have some success so i want one that will breed very easily(take care of fry for a longer amount of time). I like the South and central american cichlids more than africans but id the africans are a lot easier i will do those. Right now i only have a 40 breeder but am going to get a larger tank soon (75-125 gallon).thx.

2. RogueAgent94

RogueAgent94 Fishlore Legend Member

Hi,

Convicts, Kribs, and Jewels are the three easiest to breed cichlids I can think of. They will literally spawn almost anywhere. Especially the Jewels and Convicts. If you are going to try with something I'd say try Jewels. But that is if you want to keep them separate. If you want a community tank with the cichlids in it later then I'd go with a couple of Kribs. In a 40g I'd start out with one pair or two. But no more. You need to figure out how to sex them before you buy so you can avoid getting more of one sex. That can result in some serious fighting.

Advertisement

3. allaboutfish

allaboutfish Well Known Member Member

cutteri cichlids. as easy as convicts and i can sell you some.

Advertisement

4. OP
    OP
    c

convict15 Valued Member Member

do you think that i could keep a pair of cutteris in a 40 breeder. if so could i keep multiple in it? how much are you selling them for?

5. RogueAgent94

You could keep two pair in a 40 but I'd suggest only one so you don't get too many fry all at once. Some dither fish could be an addition to the tank and they will help induce breeding.
    Not until Convict15 has 50 or more posts. Gotta remember to keep b/s/t discussion out of the main forum. But I agree, they are very similar to convicts, especially when it comes to breeding.

6. allaboutfish

ah i didnt notice that. yea you have to post 50 times to buy anything. id do one pair personally, and some dithers. the females need to be able to hide and get away from the males once they get aggressive with their children.

7. allaboutfish

once you get 50 posts, they are 2 dollars each, theyre juvies.

8. F

FuzzyWuzzhe New Member Member

I really want to start a cichlid tank as well as breed them. I will be doing so after I get settled in from moving. Still not sure which cichlids I want yet but I really like the electric blue ones. Probably going to get a 55 possibly a 75 but still not sure.

9. RogueAgent94

Get a 75g! That opens up a lot more options in regards to different types of Cichlids. EBJDs could be bred in a 55g but a 75g would be a lot better.

10. mmolitor87

mmolitor87 Well Known Member Member

All accounts I've heard is if you buy a group of 6 jewels you're bound to get at least one pair that will breed like rabbits! Trouble is they become very violent just like any other cichlids might.

Is it wise to breed EBJDs directly? Would result in stronger offspring to breed 2 JD's with the recessive trait.

11. RogueAgent94

Hi,

Well if you buy larger Jewels you can pretty easily sex them at the shop.

No, it isn't. It is best to breed EBJDs with a BGJD (blue gene JD). Usually the male should be EBJD while the female can be a BGJD. That usually gives you the highest number of EBJD offspring. If you have two EBJDxBGJD which express the EB trait you can cross them but then their fry should be crossed with a BGJD. Lol, does that make any sense?

Advertisement