Easiest Carpeting Plant?

1. rae650

rae650 New Member Member

Any ideas for carpeting plants that will grow in my tank?

Substrate - Eco Complete Planted Black about 2 inches thick
    Light- Aquael Leddy Smart 2 Planted 6W 8000K

2. Platyarelife

Platyarelife Valued Member Member

I bought some aquarium grass seeds off of amazon and they started growing in 4 days and look nice. Nice looking carpet plant. Will post picture.

3. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

4. Platyarelife

Platyarelife Valued Member Member

Sorry about the Blur. Some water spots on the glass and it was at an angle.

Attached Files:

5. angelcraze

angelcraze Valued Member Member

What size of tank do you have? The lighting doesn't look too intense, depending on how deep your tank is, there might not be enough PAR to grow traditional carpeting plants like baby tears. A lot of them need pressurized co2 to flourish as well.

If the tank is small, a small scale plant like micro sword or tenellus might work. Dwarf hair grass really needs co2 to do well. In my large scale tanks, I use plants like dwarf sag and stargrass kept trimmed low. The latter is a stem plant and not normally used as a carpet plant, but it grows well without injected co2 and crawls along nicely. It's my favorite plant to use as a carpet. You could also mix two styles and do a section or sections of two carpets.

6. OP
    OP
    rae650

rae650 New Member Member

The reason I wanted a carpet plant was to provide some hiding places for shrimp. Do you think I could plant some hyrdocortyle around the base of my rocks and have it sprawl out? My tank is a 15 gallon so its lit but the lighting isnt very intense.

7. angelcraze

Anubias nana will grow, almost guaranteed, I have a nana carpet in my 5.5g. But it took 4 years to grow lol. Just saying, unless you are trying to stick to a particular biotope, you could tuck anubias in spots, or at the base of DW.

There's a lot of possibilities! What size is your tank and what style of scape do you like the best? Natural, simple, jungle, iwagumi, biotope?

Ok shrimp. Got it.
    15 gallon. Got it.

Is it a 15g high?
    Or 2ft x 1ft x 1ft?
    Tx!

8. OP
    OP
    rae650

rae650 New Member Member

I'm actually in the UK so it's a 55L which is about the same :)
    Its 46cm long by 34cm high so I think that would be a 15g high?

Here is the beginnings of my tank 1529787117318.jpg

9. angelcraze

For fun I took pics of my 15g and 5.5g tanks for ideas. Lol, the 15g doesn't have a carpet, it's Blackwater style, and my skittish gold tetras hide in java fern all the time if I don't sneak up. It doesn't even look like there's fish in the tank in the pic lol. These two are low light tanks.
    20180623_165619.jpg
    15g long
    20180623_165334.jpg
    5.5g
    I used to have shrimp in the 5.5g

~18" x 13"

13" is the same depth as my 15g. I have crypt wendtii red in the right front and needleleaf java fern. If I was to add a carpet, I might try tenellus. Or stargrass because I'm bias. Haha

This is a portion of my 120g with stargrass as a carpet (when my angelfish didn't start nibbling on the leaves and ripping it out for fun) :rage::bored: 20180623_171434.jpg
    Just for ideas :)

I had to switch to a dwarf sag carpet still in progress.

10. OP
    OP
    rae650

rae650 New Member Member

Which plant species have you had that have done well in low light?

11. angelcraze

Low light plants that do well for me in smaller tanks are: (and I think would work in your 55L):
    Anubias (different varieties available)
    Java fern (different varieties available)
    Bolbitis (African water fern)*
    Rosette sword plants (red or green osolet, rubin, oriental)
    Ludwigia repens
    Rotala rotundifolia
    Hygro rosenervig
    Hygro angustifolia
    Crypts (shorter varieties are wendtii, willisii, lutea)
    Crypts (taller varieties are balancea, undulata, lutea)

There's so many types of crypts that would do well imo in your tank, but those are some I've grown in tanks 18" deep. Crypts in general will stay shorter in higher light and grow taller when crowded or reaching for light.

*can get very branchy and fill large areas

Carpeting:
    Stargrass+
    Dwarf sagittaria
    Echinodorus tenellus
    Microsword
    Staurogyne repens*
    Baby tears (HC)*
    Crypt parva*

*maybe, may not be enough light
    +I used stargrass as a carpet for my shrimp in a 46g and the shrimp population was able to stay alive housed with a pair of electric blue rams.

I'm probably forgetting plants, but those are some of the easiest to grow that stay a relatively small size. I omitted plants that grow wild, too tall or take up too much space.