Easiest And Most Sustainable Live Foods To Culture?

EbiAqua

So I have almost completely done away with commercial prepared foods and am instead opting for frozen foods, but would like to start feeding live foods as well. Not only do I think this is the healthiest option for my fish, but my tank contains some wild-caught fish that are finicky eaters. I am not wanting to culture brine shrimp as not only do I not have the space for a hatchery, but from my understanding all brine shrimp eggs are wild-sourced and it is not sustainable long-term.

Right now I am interested in grindal worms or something similar. Can I get some opinions and ideas for an easy to culture, sustainable live food for my fish? Thanks in advance.

Oliver T.

maybe fruit flies, i've heard that copepods are really easy to culture and cultures hardly fail, but I doubt they would be big enough to interest your fish

EbiAqua

maybe fruit flies, i've heard that copepods are really easy to culture and cultures hardly fail, but I doubt they would be big enough to interest your fish

I'm trying to feed pygmy sunfish, white cloud minnows, corydoras, betta, and ADF. No these are not all in the same tank lol.

The live foods would be mainly for the pygmy sunfish, as they are wild caught.

CanadianJoeh

Definitely watching this thread, I am very interested....

You could follow Enterra's footsteps and try to culture black-fly larvae. If they're producing it for Fluval at such a massive rate, it really can't be that difficult...

CanadianJoeh

Then you could make your own frozen foods or flake with your own, home-grown bugs.

Throw some salmon, spirulina, vitamin-c and garlic in there and it'll be awesome!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
BlackOsprey
Replies
Views
Flyfisha
Replies
Views
Hellfishguy
  • Question
Replies