Easiest And Cheapest Way To Get Rid Of Algae?

E.chay
I have a lot of algae in my freshwater aquarium and I don’t know how to get rid of it. All I’m doing right now is scraping it off every time I do a water change however the scraper I’m using doesn’t work very well. Is there any other way to get rid of algae besides scraping it off that’s cheap and easy? And if there’s not what would you recommend I use to scrape off the algae more efficiently?

Nataku
Algae is caused by a combination of too much light and nutrients being present in the tank.
How long is your light on each day? Is there any sunlight from a window that hits the tank?
How high is you ammonia/nitrates before your water change? Are you gravel vaccing you tank during water changes? What is your substrate? Do you have live plants in the tank?

E.chay
The light is on from when I wake up to when I go to bed typically 15 hours. There is no sunlight from a window that hits the tank. I don’t test my water because I don’t have a testing kit. Yes I gravel vacc during water changes. My substrate is the typical brightly coloured aquarium gravel. Yes I have one live plant in the aquarium.

psalm18.2
Try changing your light time to 8 hours, 15 is much too long.

E.chay
Try changing your light time to 8 hours, 15 is much too long.

Thank you, I will do that. Any other advice?

75g Discus Tank
Break the 8 hours into blocks.

Algae grows from continuous light.

For example, 4 hours on, 2 hours off, and 4 hours on is a perfect schedule for lighting.

E.chay
Break the 8 hours into blocks.

Algae grows from continuous light.

For example, 4 hours on, 2 hours off, and 4 hours on is a perfect schedule for lighting.

My light doesn’t have a timer and I’m not home to turn it on and off so it has to be on for 8 hours straight

75g Discus Tank
Timers are extremely cheap.

$15 is the most expensive that I’ve come across.

E.chay

image.jpg
image.jpg
Timers are extremely cheap.

$15 is the most expensive that I’ve come across.

Would a timer work on this kind of light?

Rojer Ramjet
View attachment 427480 View attachment 427481

Would a timer work on this kind of light?
Does the end of that light plug into the wall? A little tansformer? Plug the transformer or cord-cap into the timer; as long as one end is 120v it'll work just fine, and I'm not familiar with ANY fixture sold that isn't 120/240 compatible.

E.chay
Does the end of that light plug into the wall? A little tansformer? Plug the transformer or cord-cap into the timer; as long as one end is 120v it'll work just fine, and I'm not familiar with ANY fixture sold that isn't 120/240 compatible.

Yes it plugs into the wall. Is there any timers you would recommend?

Rojer Ramjet
One not made in China...

Good luck on finding one. lol

Nataku
XD the elusive non-chinese timer. Good luck with that.
But yeah any el cheapo timer will work. I've got ones from walmart that cost maybe 4 bucks. Just plug the cord into the timer. Plug timer into wall. Set for time and go.

TexasDomer
What kind of algae do you have?

leftswerve

leftswerve
If you have 2 prong, less than 15 amps, and a home depot

Similar Aquarium Threads

• AnglerTheStrangler
  • Algae
Replies
Views
angelcraze
  • Question
  • BettasAreSuperior
  • Algae
Replies