'easier' red/colored plants Question

1. MJDuti Well Known Member Member

I'm on a plant kick and am really interested in learning about them cause it will be my next aquarium endeavor. I want to add some color to my next tank setup and found 3 plants that sound fairly reasonable to grow without going crazy with lighting and co2. My new tank will be 10G, so not very tall (12"). I plan to have 2wpg (moderate right?) with decent CFL bulbs, and the tank will also be in a well lighted area to begin with (not in front of a window but close and May get some direct sunlight for an hour or so in the morning...good, bad?). I also plan to have eco-complete, use flourish excel, and take the carbon out of my filter.

The first plant, and the one that I think will work, is the sunset hygro. It appears to get around 11-12" tall and no more than 3" wide which would be perfect. I hear, like most plants, the more light you get the more pink/red you will get from its top leaves. I also hear it grows easy, just needs trimmings a lot.
    The other two were crypt wendtii and red temple, but both grow large and wouldn't fit into the small tank.

Anyone have experience with any of these? Anyone know of any other plants that would work? Is there any plant that gives you anthing more than green or red?

2. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

I have cryptocoryne wendtii red in most of my tanks, the only one that has gotten real big is the one in my 75gal, that has a high light setup. I don't know anything about the other plants, sorry.

Most non green plants are going to need higher light and co2.

The only other plant that might work in a mid light setup that I can think of is a dwarf lily bulb, mine has leaves that are red/orange/pink but I think it would be too big for your tank.

3. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

My telanthera and dwarf lilies are really nice plants. The telanthera is bright red, and my lilies differ in color, from a pink to rusty red.

4. ZeeZ Well Known Member Member

5. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

The red and bronze color options with crypts are great because they are low light plants with color! Lilies are great options too!

Other plants with color that come to mind are:

pogostemon stellatus
    red tiger lily
    crypt undulata, leaves are sometimes green, sometimes bronze
    luigia repens
    red rubin or red flame swords
    rotala magenta
    sunset hygro is a great plant, but many states will not allow its shipment
    alternanthera rosaefolia
    ludwigia glandulosa
    cabomba pulchurrima

There are many options for color in plants!! Most will have a higher demand for lighting and ferts or will not grow very well.