Earthworm got away between the gravel, is this going to be a problem?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Substrates - Gravel, Sand' started by Nancyhl, Jan 10, 2013.

1. NancyhlValued MemberMember

I was feeding my Dempseys earthworms and one of them got away between the gravel is this going to cause any trouble for my tank later on?

2. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

They can live for a while under water but will die relatively quickly. I suggest you find it and remove it.

3. NancyhlValued MemberMember

Would it cause harm to my fish if left there? There is no where to be found.

4. RPPhotoNew MemberMember

yah i can , if it dies and rotts can cause alot of water issues in turn getting fish sick

5. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

How long has it been since it went missing? How large is your Dempsey? You may need to cut the worm in half next time. My adult Demspey would never lose a worm.

6. NancyhlValued MemberMember

He's really good at eating them is just that while taking 3 he dropped one of them. He is a big boy about 9" he eats really big ones.

7. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

8. NancyhlValued MemberMember

How many should I feed them let's say regular size worms n how many times a day?

9. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

More like one, once or twice a week. I feed nightcrawlers.

10. NancyhlValued MemberMember

Oh ok, thanks for the advice. I think I fed him for two weeks already.

11. AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Good morning,

If this worm is in you 100g tank, I wouldn't worry too much about losing 1 worm. As suggested by others above, live worms would be best fed as a treat a couple of times per week.

Too many lost worms could cause issues with increased ammonia levels if the worm decomposes in the tank. Keep an eye on your readings to be on the safe side but more than likely everything will be fine. I've lost a worm or two in the past, no issues.

Ken

12. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

Feeding too many larger worms can cause intestinal blockages. They are so long that if over fed, the fish have a hard time digesting them.

13. NancyhlValued MemberMember

Thanks Ken, yes it was in my 100g.
    I will try to feed them smaller worms then. Am trying to breed them so how many times should I feed them with worms.

14. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

I'm trying to condition some cichlids right now, feeding worms as well. I feed a nightcrawler a day. If you can stomach it, you might be better off cutting it up a bit. easier for them to digest.

15. NancyhlValued MemberMember

Ok thanks, I will try get them smaller ones better I don't think I could cut them in half. Hopefully I'll get some fry soon.

16. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

Go for red wrigglers instead of Nightcrawlers.

17. NancyhlValued MemberMember

I'll try that too, thanks. I'll try everything I want to have little Dempseys already. Lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice