Early Signs Of Dropsy?

lhc

Reaction score
Hi,
I was monitoring my betta just now and noticed that the scales seem slightly raised. I wasn't sure if I was jumping to conclusions or not so I've included a picture just in case.

She's a female (not sure that makes a difference lol)
Water temperature is 80 degrees fahrenheit
I can't provide specific water parameters at the moment, unfortunately, but I set up the tank a couple weeks ago and cycled it using Tetra Safe Start around four days ago. I got her on the same day, so she's fairly new.

She's very active and eats readily (always begging for food, haha) and is very responsive. She doesn't have a severe case of bloating, but she looked a bit distended when I first got her.

Thanks, I appreciate any feedback I can get. Also, if it does seem like a case of bacterial infection/dropsy, what could possible treatments be? I've read various threads and articles, and it seems like there's some disagreement over how you should go about it (epsom salt or nah, melafix, etc.)

Attachments

Discus-Tang

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
It may be dropsy, but dropsy is really untreatable because it is a set of symptoms caused by a previous disease. Melafix will not emulsify with the water and therefore will prevent the betta from breathing as it will all be floating on the top.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom