E-Cig smog VS water surface/Gas Exchange

1. NanoNater

NanoNater New Member Member

Hey guys,

Not sure if this has ever been Asked/Mentionned:

I just thought about something and wanted opinions on my thought.

I am a Vaper (E-cig User)and I Use RDA's and RTA's and this kind of vaping creates major vapor smog inside my condo. The liquid I use Has Nicotine inside

I was wondering since the vapor is microscopic water bubbles floating in the air can it harm an aquarium since in theory as soon as the vapor touches the water surface it,(the water bubbles) "merges" or "bonds" with the aquarium water Thus Introducing Propelyne glycol, Vegetable glycerin, Flavour extracts and Nicotine into the water column.

Im not sure if you guys will understand what im trying to say. Hard to explain my theory..

Let me know what you think.

2. Tolak

Tolak Well Known Member Member

I've been smoking in my fishroom for years. Couldn't be any worse that what I do, though I do kick on the room exhaust fan when I'm in there. Not sure on the differences in water solubility of either, most likely pretty similar.

3. Jsigmo

Jsigmo Well Known Member Member

It has to affect the water to some extent.

How much? is the real question. It may be insignificant.

I do know that cigarette smoke will gum up the works in an aquarium air pump and make the little flapper valves stick closed.

A good activated carbon pre-filter would be effective in the air pump system if changed regularly. But that wouldn't help with vapor or smoke directly contacting the water surface.

I guess you could build a filtered positive air pressure system to keep smoke/vapor out of the area above the tank.

Using the patch, or switching to chew might be the best for the fishies. :)

4. OP
    OP
    NanoNater

NanoNater New Member Member

Hmmm, but we can all agree that a water droplet(vapor) will dissolve/bond/mix into a body of water much quicker compared to a gas(cigarette smoke) that contacts a body of water.

this is why im wondering if it can cause a problem.

Im not worried actualy guys, im curious about my Theory

5. Jsigmo

Jsigmo Well Known Member Member

Well, I don't think the vapor from an e-cig would necessarily be any worse than smoke from a traditional cigarette. Smoke consists of a lot more than just gasses. There is a lot of particulate matter and vaporized tarry material.

I suppose it would partially depend on what all of the constituents are in each of these clouds, how toxic those substances are to fish, and then also how readily each of them is able to diffuse into the water.