Dying Snails - Please Help 10 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by Alex6455, Apr 18, 2018.

1. Alex6455

Alex6455Valued MemberMember

My nerite snails have been with me about 2 months now, and recently I changed the substrate to Eco-Complete. Soon after this they stopped moving, and one of them died. Eventually, the other one started moving around and was fine but he died today too. I also started dosing Flourish around this time, but it has such a little copper value I don't think it would cause any harm. My params are fine, and I do a 20-30% water change weekly. I am just wondering what the cause of this might be.
    I also recently got some ramshorns, and they barely move and eat no algae as far as I can tell. When they topple over, they can't get back up. What could be the cause of this?
    Thanks in advance for the help.

2. A. Rozhin

A. RozhinValued MemberMember

When I changed to Eco-complete, it raised my pH. I can't remember if that affected my snails; I didn't lose any of my special ones, but some of the smaller ones couldn't met a bad end. If it did affect your pH, maybe they need to adjust and the nerites just weren't strong enough to make it? Have you done a pH test and compared it with before? I'm sorry you lost the nerites. I have a lot of snails and I really love them, so it's upsetting to lose one. I really hope your ramshorns pull through. Have you given them some special food/tablets to maybe take the obligation off of them to find algae for awhile?

Maybe someone can chime in about water hardness, whether eco-comp. affects that, too, and how it might impact snails, I don't know anything about that part of it, I don't even have test kits for it.

3. OP
    OP
    Alex6455

Alex6455Valued MemberMember

Thanks! I can try to get a pH test soon. I have tried giving my ramshorns cucumber, spinach (all blanched), and algae wafers, and they haven't touched them. Sigh. Thanks a lot for your help. Adjusting seems like the problem, because they were fine before and it took a while for that one snail to "wake up". If I get new snails, they shouldn't have this problem, right?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice