Dying platy, need advice asap! Help 

Rhan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ok, I'm sorry if this is all muddled, but I'm freaking out right now.

Ok, so on Saturday night I noticed my red male platy was hiding away a bit more than usual and that he had a thin white covering over his gills and his 'chin' up to his bottom lip. The next morning, I went out and bought the cheapest kit I could find, 21 litres, so about 5 gallons, plus a heater, and pimafix (as I wasn't sure whether it was fungus or bacterial, it seemed like the best bet, and also the fish still seemed to acting reasonably normal).

Anyway, i set up the tank, bare bottom, with a hidng log and plastic plants and seeded the HOB filter. I put my platy in, and dosed the tank as per instructions: '5 ml per 40 litres of aquarium water (I have been measuring out 2.5 ml with a syringe). repeat dose daily for 7 days, then perform a 25% water change' I have dosed 2.5 ml each night, and today is Thursday just before dosage time, so he has had 4 doses as of now.

Behaviour over the first few days varied, he spent a lot of time in the log for the first 2, but has been out and about alot the last day or so. He has been eating a little, though not as much as usual. Just tonight he has been hanging next right at the bottom of the tank in a corner, barely moving. His fins appear clamped to me, which they weren't at all until now. He is scaring me, i really think I might lose him His behaviour has changed so suddenly.

I have included a picture, aplogies for the poor quality. It doesn't really show up the white stuff very well, but it shows what poor condition he is in

I did an ammonia and nitrite test last night, 0, 0. I will perform one when I finish this and post back results.

I'm really tempted to do a water change, just to see if he perks up, but then that will mess up the medication

Any suggestions or advice is appreciated!

Attachments

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello Rhan,

Sorry to hear about your Platy. I agree, in the photo his fin does look a bit clamped. Did you remove the carbon from the filter before treating with Pimafix?

Best wishes. I hope he has a full recovery.
Hold on for more responses.
Ken

Rhan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks for your reply and concern Ken.

Unfortunetly, he just started to get worse and worse, struggling to breath, pushed around by the filter, unable to swim. Under close examination, his slime coat appeared to be gone, his scales were lifting and his fins were tearing. He looked 'dry' even while in the tank. I read the thread on humane fish euthanasia, so he has left peacefully

Bye Bye Mr. Platy You will be sadly missed

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello Rhan,

Sorry that you lost the Platy. It sounds like you did the right thing.

Ken

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads