Dying plants

Lokithebetta

So I have recently gotten a five gallon tank for my betta and his old 3 gallon tank had to Anubis’s and one Java fern I got him some amazon swords and some water lettuce and recently about 1/2 week later all of my plants except the Java fern are starting to get brown tips on some of the leaves and the water lettuce is turning yellow ... my betta gets crazy when I turn the leds on in his tank so I don’t know what to do the tank is on the sunniest room in my house and he’s scared of his reflection when I turn the lights on if I left his lights on for a couple hours would he get used to them ?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 19
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 21

Lokithebetta

I don’t
Hi, are you using a fert's? I would pick up a bottle of Nilocg Thrive C from Amazon along with some root tabs.
use fertilizer I will look in to those what do I do about my betta who swims staticky when the lights go on the water lettuce need lights

Upvote 0

Lokithebetta

I don’t
I don’t

use fertilizer I will look in to those what do I do about my betta who swims staticky when the lights go on the water lettuce need lights
[i

I don’t currently use fertilizer

Upvote 0

Dennis57

I don’t

Would love to help you there but I have never owned a Betta. Not relly sure why hes like that

Upvote 0

Lokithebetta

M
Would love to help you there but I have never owned a Betta. Not relly sure why hes like that
Me neither I don’t really no I just got him from pet smart a year ago and he’s all ways been terrified of lights so you have a certain brand of fertilizer that would be good for me

Upvote 0

Bluejay010101

What are your parameters? Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate levels? Edit: just read that you use strips. Highly rec you get the API Freshwater Master Kit ($23 Petsmart online and they'll price match). Strips can be inaccurate. The liquid kit is much more economical in the long run and is more accurate.

How often are water changes?

Any tankmates?

What do you feed and how much?

I rec Thrive by NilocG. I use it 2x/week for my 10 gal. You'll start out slow and go from there. It's a balance. Get a timer for the light also. 6-7hrs/day is plenty and consistency is key.

When you say static, what do you mean? Is he darting everywhere? It could be because he sees his reflection if the lighting in the tank is brighter than the room. You can get more plants to break up the reflection or put some white frosted sides and background outside the tank.

Upvote 0

Lokithebetta

What are your parameters? Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate levels?

Any tankmates?

I rec Thrive by NilocG. I use it 2x/week for my 10 gal. You'll start out slow and go from there. It's a balance. Get a timer for the light also. 6-7hrs/day is plenty and consistency is key.

When you say static, what do you mean? Is he darting everywhere? It could be because he sees his reflection if the lighting in the tank is brighter than the room. You can get more plants to break up the reflection or put some white frosted sides and background outside the tank.
So he eats new life spectrum pellets

He darts every where till I turn them off and then some times he pulls flare then go hide

I change his water every other day he had fin rot a couple of wells ago and just healing that

he parameters are all good I check them about every 4 days

no tank mates

I really don’t want my water lettuce to die but there turning yellow are all of my plants gonna die if I don’t get them fertilizer ?

Upvote 0

Bluejay010101

So he eats new life spectrum pellets

He darts every where till I turn them off and then some times he pulls flare then go hide

I change his water every other day he had fin rot a couple of wells ago and just healing that

he parameters are all good I check them about every 4 days

no tank mates

I really don’t want my water lettuce to die but there turning yellow are all of my plants gonna die if I don’t get them fertilizer ?

I recommend you go and get the API Freshwater Master Kit asap. Strips aren't the best to tell parameters. Your tank might not be cycled through which can cause issues.

He's seeing his reflection so that's why. You can do what I recommended above to remedy it.

New plants in a new tank can take a while to acclimate. They will melt back (die off) some before they start sprouting. But for floating plants yes you definitely will need liquid ferts and the sword will need root tabs. I have swords and use Flourish tabs, they're heavy root feeders.

Also rec you clip off any dying leaves down to the stem so it can focus the energy on new sprouts instead of the wilting leaves.

As for his fin rot, continue with wcs and you can dose Stressguard and Indian Almond leaves to help his fins. You can steep IALs like a tea, let it cool, dechlorinate it and pour it into the tank. It will slightly stain the tank a tea color but it is beneficial for bettas.

Upvote 0

Lokithebetta

What are your parameters? Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate levels?

Any tankmates?

So he eats new life spectrum
I recommend you go and get the API Freshwater Master Kit asap. Strips aren't the best to tell parameters. Your tank might not be cycled through which can cause issues.

He's seeing his reflection so that's why. You can do what I recommended above to remedy it.

New plants in a new tank can take a while to acclimate. They will melt back (die off) some before they start sprouting. But for floating plants yes you definitely will need liquid ferts and the sword will need root tabs. I have swords and use Flourish tabs, they're heavy root feeders.

Also rec you clip off any dying leaves down to the stem so it can focus the energy on new sprouts instead of the wilting leaves.

As for his fin rot, continue with wcs and you can dose Stressguard and Indian Almond leaves to help his fins. You can steep IALs like a tea, let it cool, dechlorinate it and pour it into the tank. It will slightly stain the tank a tea color but it is beneficial for bettas.
thank you I will definitely look in to some fertilizer to help my plants and will continue helping my betta with his fin rot thank you

Upvote 0

Bluejay010101

So he eats new life spectrum

thank you I will definitely look in to some fertilizer to help my plants and will continue helping my betta with his fin rot thank you

Np! Hope he has a speedy recovery!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Algonquin
Replies
Views
BHK3
  • Question
Replies