Dying Molly?, Questions Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Nickguy5467, Apr 17, 2019.

1. Nickguy5467Well Known MemberMember

so this little guy is seems like hes struggling to swim anywhere. lands on tthe sand kinda stays there only seems to move when i tried to grab him (thought he was dead) i dont know why his bottom fins are all white liek that. , i dont rememebr them that way. does any of this look like any kind of sickess to you? cuz ive only had him for a few months and the other day i had the issue with the guppy with the bent spine that died. should i euthenize it? he looks like hes struggling

Attached Files:

2. TheBettaSushiWell Known MemberMember

Water parameters?

3. Nickguy5467Well Known MemberMember

>7.6|0|0|15 , levels usually fine. so i dont know why my fish are dying suddenly. its unfortunate

4. TheBettaSushiWell Known MemberMember

Did you add anything to the tank recently? (Fake plants, decor), any cleaning solvents sprayed near the tank?

5. Nickguy5467Well Known MemberMember

no i didnt add anything physical. just the standard algae remover or stress zyme, i did scrub the algae off a wrock with a tooth brush thats strictly for those purpsoses and put it back in, but thats about it

6. TheBettaSushiWell Known MemberMember

I’d try a 50% water change and see if your fish reacts to fresh water.

Your profile states you’re using the api kit... make sure those bottles aren’t expired and I’d shake all of the bottles well and test your parameters again.

@mattgirl @Platylover @toosie maybe can help.

7. Nickguy5467Well Known MemberMember

dontt expire til 2023 but a water change sounds good

8. TheBettaSushiWell Known MemberMember

Hopefully one of the wonderful people I tagged will see this and will be able help you figure out what’s going on.

9. toosieFishlore VIPMember

Standard algae remover? What are we talking here... peroxide? Seachem Exel? Other? How much did you use? How big is the tank? How did you apply the product?

10. Nickguy5467Well Known MemberMember

thanks sushi

aqueon liquid algae remover, 37g , put in 1ml per 10 gallons like it said, been doing it for a long time. i wouldnt think its the algae remover or it would haave affected all my fish months ago

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2019
  11. toosieFishlore VIPMember

Thanks, but all of the answers will help. :)

12. TheBettaSushiWell Known MemberMember

You’re welcome. Please answer all of toosie’s questions so she (I believe) can narrow down disease/infections etc.

13. Nickguy5467Well Known MemberMember

the only things that go into my tank is algae remover, stress zyme, and seachem safe, im currently doing my water change, i think the molley is soon to meet the fish gods though . so i dont think i can save him. but its a start

he looks dead but when i try to pick up the corpse, he springs up and flies off to look dead somewhere else

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
  14. toosieFishlore VIPMember

Well, I'm not much good at diagnosing diseases. But these algaecide can cause problems if not used correctly. Especially if poured on a fish or at a high dosage.

I can't see the fish well, because I have just a small phone screen. But if a fish isn't feeling well, a water change is usually a prudent thing to do.

It doesn't sound good for him. Sorry about your fish.

15. TheBettaSushiWell Known MemberMember

I personally wouldn’t use an algae remover. That’s what a scrapper blade is for. Sometimes dosing things can do more harm than good in my opinion. I never dose the amount that any bottle or packet states either. I always dose less than the recommended amount just to see what side effects (if any) it may cause. Fish can tolerate certain things to an extent but prolonged use could cause harm. Not saying it’s the algae remover (it very well could be though) but I’m just stating it in general.

16. Nickguy5467Well Known MemberMember

yeah, its unfortunate. thanks for your help... edit: he still flutters when i try to get him looking dead. should i wait it out after water change see if he gets better? or put him out of his misery?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
  17. TheBettaSushiWell Known MemberMember

I’d wait. Do another water change tomorrow if he’s still alive. Just make sure you’re matching the water temp to the tank temp. And I’d stop using all additives except for prime for a while and see what happens. I have a feeling that it’s something being added to the water that is affecting him and possibly affected your other fish that died which I read from another thread you posted.

18. Nickguy5467Well Known MemberMember

I'll do that thank you.yeah I try to match the temperature best I can usually I get it within one or two degrees and I adjust the faucet it if I'm wrong. it's hard to be when straight from faucet

19. TheBettaSushiWell Known MemberMember

I know the feeling. This is why I use a bucket with a heater when I do pwc. However, mine is a 6 gallon tank so it’s easier for me to use a bucket.

Get seachem prime if you don’t have it on hand. It will help dechlorinate the water since your using tap. It’s way better than seachem safe in my opinion.

Keep us updated. Hope it all works out for you and the water change along with stopping the use of the algae remover will get your fish healthy again. Good luck.

20. Nickguy5467Well Known MemberMember

Are you seachem prime for a while but then I started using quite a while ago seachem safe. Dechlorinate handles ammonia and nitrates. Lasts a really long time