Dying kuhlis, Feeling crummy

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I'm losing some of my new fish.
I was expecting a die-off of some of the otos. I've never bought them without having at least a couple die within a few days. It doesn't matter how low the nitrates are, or how careful I am when acclimating them, they're just too touchy.
However, over the past 36 hours, I've lost 2 kuhlis. There's the slightest hint of ammonia in the water (not enough to read as even .5ppm, but just the lightest green tint to the test. I'd guess it's at around .1ppm) so that might be it, with both nitrite and nitrate at acceptable levels (0ppm and 10ppm, respectively). The rest of the kuhlis have gone into hiding during the same time. Not sure, but others might be dead, too.
The dead show no sign of illness. Gills are the pink that I've seen on my black kuhlis since day one (not bright red of gill damage), no spots, fuzz, sore spots, anything.
I've been doing bi-weekly 40% water changes to deal with any nitrogen spikes due to the rather large influx of fish. Up until the past couple of days, there has been no sign of any ammonia, no issues at all.

Anyway, I hate it when I lose fish like this and it feels like there's nothing I can do to change it. I have times when I feel like I've lost control of my life (very similar to depression, though not quite the same), and times like this just kick it into high gear.
So if I seem either absent or cranky over the next couple of days, I apologize.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Completely understandable.
I'm really sorry about your fish.
It's tough when things happen and we don't have control over certain circumstances.

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
sorry that happened. cheer up......life is weird, and it's normal to blame yourself and feel not in control. it'll be ok

Karl R

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Man I tell ya I am aweful sorry to hear bout your fish. Not that it makes it any better but everyone hits them aweful dark tunnels on the road of life. But the sun is still shining on the other side. Hang in there stuff will get better.

Last edited:

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I'm so sorry you're losing kuhli's, SDS.

It's difficult when life seems like it's spiraling out of control, especially when we have babies depending on us.

We're here for you if you need us and it's always darkest before the dawn.

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Well, something's going right. My black kuhlis are still doing okay, but I haven't seen the striped ones (I suppose it's possible that the black kuhlis decided they didn't like the striped kuhlis), however, my otos are chasing each other around the tank.

btate617

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Any chance the new ammonia could be as simple as the dead fish in the tank? Possible you didn't catch them right away. Just a thought.
Good luck.

Brian

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sorry your losing Kuhlis. It's hard not knowing what was wrong and they are the worst for that.
Hang in there and don't beat yourself up over this you are a great fish daddy.
Carol

Elodea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Don't get mad at yourself, these things happen all the time. Maybe the loaches were already weak after being shipped to the LFS, and it wasn't your fault at all.

:console:

GoGreen

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hang in there!Sorry to hear about your kuhlis. We all have times where stuff in our tanks (life!) is a bit out of control. You are not alone in this!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom