Dying guppies

nadams234

Reaction score
Help please.  I am losing my guppies.  Lost two females over the last day.  I had been having problems with my tank recently, but I did a water test this morning.  Ammonia was at 0 and Nitrites showed 0.  My water temp is in the green zone.  Everything seems to be fine, but my guppies are dying.  What might I do?

boff

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi how long have you had your guppies ,it might just be old age.

nadams234

Reaction score
The one that is doing well I have had for a couple of months. The ones that have died, I stocked in my tank a week ago. Will probably lose a third sometime today that way he is acting.

boff

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
How are the rest of your fish, because the guppies that you bought might have been bad fish any way,what is your LFS like, do they care about there fish .

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Was your tank cycled when you put the fish into it. Guppies are not good fish to use (or any fish for that matter) to cycle a tank with. The ammonia levels can kill fish very fast.

Do you have a kit to test for ammonia? If so would you please do a test for ammonia in your water and if it exists in the water you need to do a massive water change to bring the ammonia level down so your fish are not being poisoned with their own waste products.

We will also need levels for Nitrates and Nitrites if you can get them for us. I thank you.

I am so sorry for all the trouble you are having I do not know a lot about guppies and their lives but I do about the Nitrogen cycle and it sounds like what the problem may be.

Rose

nadams234

Reaction score
I am testing, ammonia was 0, as well as nitrites and my nitrates are in the acceptable range. Maybe we don't have a good fish store here in town.

lokky.funky

Valued Member
Reaction score
Did u quarantine the new guy.. b4 introducing him into the tank. Did u pick any symptoms (torn fins, etc) from the fishes..

if yes, you'll have to treat them accordingly..

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom